Role Title: Head of Communications, COO Office
- Head of Communications, COO Office reports to the Global Head of Communications, Group COO & HSBC Operations, Services and Technology (HOST), and is responsible for providing strategic advice and leading the development and delivery of employee communications for the Group COO Office which consists of four functions and leadership teams: Group Chief Control Office, Group Chief Admin Office, Group Transformation (HSBC’s change function and the wider HSBC community of practice) and the Service Company, there are around 4,000 colleagues working across these departments. The role holder directly manages two communications managers.
- Activity includes advising on employee communications in support of these areas’ strategic priorities, change communications (including advising on change programmes impacting HSBC more widely) and advising on and managing the licencing for speaking at external conferences and media engagement.
- In addition they and their team work closely with the Head of Commuications, Group Chief Operating Officer & HOST to develop and deliver communications activities in support of Group COO Leadership team / HOST priorities, working with the wider HOST communications team and network.
- This highly visible senior communications role provides the opportunity to build strong relationships with a diverse range of senior leaders across HSBC, including the COOs for the businesses, functions and geographies, and make a real impact on leaders’ effectiveness, employee engagement and business outcomes. The role provides plenty of scope to innovate and learn, including leading the design and delivery of the annual Group COO Conference, an internal conference to engage the Group COO’s wider senior leadership community.
Impact on Business
Lead and develop the communications approach for the CAO, CCO, Group Transformation and the Service Company leadership teams and their areas, ensuring they support the HSBC strategy, values and purpose.
Support the COO Office functions with communications related to change.
Engage and collaborate with the HOST communications network to land HOST and COO Office communications activity and to inform and align Global Business, Global Function, Regional and Group COO / HOST communications activity.
Assess the external implications of internal communications campaigns and projects, and collaborate with media relations on external messages to mitigate reputational risks
Anticipate and identify issues that may have an impact on HOST and the Group’s reputation and provide insight and counsel to the CCO, CAO, Group Head of Transformation, Head of the ServCo, Head of HOST HR and wider business stakeholders and functions as required.
Communicate major transformation initiatives and support transformation programme communications, in collaboration with the relevant project teams, and other regional and country communications colleagues as required
Help to develop and drive content and storytelling principles in support of HSBC’s strategic goals and coordinate with Group and other editorial teams
Support the Head of Communications, GCOO & HOST to develop and deliver engaging leadership communications for HOST, including the GCOO conference, GCOO webcasts and other interventions
Engage with the wider HOST network to understand the business context, employee insight, and to share best practice, to inform HOST communications strategy
Monitoring and managing costs relating to HOST and COO Office communications.
Customers / Stakeholders
- Key audiences/stakeholders
- COO Office leadership teams (4)
- COO Office colleagues
- Head of Communications, Group COO & HOST
- HOST communications team and network
Global Communications, including Group Media Relations
Leadership & Teamwork
Work with the HOST Comms team and network and Group and other editorial teams to deliver engaging internal news stories and content in support of the bank’s strategic priorities, and supporting continuous improvement of quality and impact
Proactive sharing of knowledge and best practices across the team and network
Keep up-to-date with latest employee communications research, techniques and approaches, and networks externally with peers
Work collaboratively with colleagues in the Global Businesses, Global Functions and geographies to ensure seamless delivery of global campaigns, adapting for local audience sensibilities as required.
Ensure execution to world-class standards and share knowledge and best practice across the Communications network
Anticipate and identify issues that require a communications response and marshal team resources to deliver across HOST.
Personally demonstrate a high standard of HSBC’s values.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
Track and measure the delivery and impact of employee communications programmes
Meet and comply with Global Standards Manual, Communications Functional Instruction Manual, procedures and governance framework
Assist GCOO & HOST Head of Communications to manage budgets for employee communication projects and monitor spending
- Manage employee related reputation risk issues
- Job dimensions
Responsible for Group COO Office Communications, HOST network engagement, including the GCOO Leadership Team and HOST-wide content, reporting to the Head of Communications GCOO and HOST
Responsible for advising, briefing and supporting the Head of Communications GCOO and HOST
- Business context in 2019
A demanding transformation agenda and tough trading environment
Focused and disciplined execution of plans, including significant people changes
Realise benefits of changes – e.g. embedding new operating models, ways of working
Build a culture that embraces our healthiest human system, diversity, change, feedback, agility and innovation