Department: Protein Sciences
Location: Cambridge, Biomedical Campus
Salary: Competitive, DOE
Contract: Permanent, Full-Time
The Protein Sciences team at Cambridge is currently in the build-up phase and the successful candidate will work in this new and dynamic team. This is an exciting stage for the team and the successful candidate will have an important role in contributing to the success of the group.
The Scientist role predominantly involves the design of protein constructs and optimize the expression strategy. This role will apply bioinformatic tools and protein structural modelling techniques to design a viable strategy for high-quality protein production.
The Protein Science group in Cambridge is part of a larger global team and therefore good communication with managers and the larger team is essential.
- Plan and execute various computational experiments involving the design, selection and optimization of protein constructs
- Investigate, create and develop new methods for project advancement
- Conduct day-to-day problem solving, work prioritization, and co-ordination across the team and other groups to ensure project deadlines are met
- Perform data analysis; write reports and present results and project assessments to Senior Management
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
- At least a degree level in biophysics, bioengineering, computational chemistry, structural biology or a related field with computational proteomics experience
- Proficiency in computational structural biology skills such as protein structural prediction/homology modelling, biophysical characterization, QSAR modelling etc.
- Experience with computational optimization of protein expression and construct design
- String understanding of protein structure and biochemistry in the context of antigen/protein design and characterization
- Experience with protein structure softwares to allow protein modelling, visualization and structural optimization
- Experience working closely with experimental scientists
- Knowledge of protein expression and purification especially in mammalian cell systems will be a plus
- Familiarity with scripting languages (Python, Perl, R) and Linux OS will be a plus
The successful candidate will have experience communicating and working in a global team, will be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and effectively contribute to project teams. The candidate possesses strong communication, organization, attention to detail and team skills. The successful candidate will be naturally self-motived and thrive in a fast-paced environment, with minimal supervision.
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.