|Job Type:||Full Time|
J.P. Morgan is a leader in financial services, working in collaboration across the globe to deliver the best solutions and advice to meet our clients’ needs, anywhere in the world. We operate in 150 countries, and hold leadership positions across our businesses. We have an exceptional team of employees who work hard to do the right thing for our clients and the firm, every day. This is why we are the most respected financial institution in the world – and why we can offer you an outstanding career.
The J.P. Morgan Chase Legal Department in the UK advises the J.P. Morgan lines of business within the Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) region. This role is for a full-time employment lawyer who will form part of the EMEA Legal Department, covering all of the business areas within the Bank.
The EMEA HR Legal Practice Group is looking for an employment lawyer to work as part of a team of six lawyers in London, providing employment law advice in EMEA on contentious and non-contentious matters. There will also be cross-border employment issues that arise with the US and APAC with which the candidate will assist.
Providing support to the ER and HR functions across EMEA, including seeking advice from local external counsel in those jurisdictions, and directly delivering employment law advice.
Assisting in the management of employment litigation in EMEA, instructing and liaising with outside counsel, reviewing draft documents, discussing strategy and advising the business, Employee Relations and Human Resources.
Conducting the day-to-day management of employment tribunal claims, including drafting of pleadings, supervising disclosure and proofing witnesses.
Advising on restructures across EMEA and advising on local requirements.
Supporting ER and HR with advice on grievances, disciplinaries, dismissals, appeals, redundancies, recruitment, contracts of employment, restrictive covenants and employee data protection issues.
Advising generally in relation to non-contentious employment issues, especially outsourcings and transactions involving TUPE transfers and share acquisitions, which often involve more than one jurisdiction, either EMEA or on a global basis.
Conducting investigations of fact in relation to business and conduct issues.
Providing support on the implementation of legal developments and initiatives and review of related materials, drafting and updating of policies and procedures.
Advising on regulatory issues in the context of conduct and remuneration matters.
Managing relationships with external employment counsel across EMEA.
- Solid employment law experience from either the employment department of a major City law firm preferably with banking employment litigation experience, or equivalent experience with a legal department of a large financial institution.
- Strong academic qualifications
- In-house experience preferable but not essential.
- Sound knowledge of all aspects of employment law, including discrimination, whistleblowing, grievance procedures, disciplinaries, changes to terms and conditions, redundancies, and TUPE & reorganisation impact.
- Employment litigation experience.
- Familiarity with the regulatory requirements applicable to a firm like J.P. Morgan but not essential
- Experience in drafting and negotiating settlement agreements.
- Experience in dealing with multi-jurisdictional matters and advising on local employment law requirements across EMEA but not essential.
- Ability to build a strong partnership with ER and HR clients.
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Lawyer must be licensed to practice law and a member in good standing in the state/jurisdiction in which the position is based or otherwise in compliance with the in-house counsel registration rules of that state/jurisdiction.
About J.P. Morgan Chase & Co:
J.P. Morgan serves one of the largest client franchises in the world. Our clients include corporations, institutional investors, hedge funds, governments and affluent individuals in more than 100 countries. J.P. Morgan is part of JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM), a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.1 trillion. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset management, and private equity. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, JPMorgan Chase serves millions of clients and consumers under its JPMorgan and Chase, and WaMu brands.
JPMorgan Chase & Co. offers an exceptional benefits program and a highly competitive compensation package. JPMorgan Chase & Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a member of the UK Government’s Disability Confident Scheme.