|Job Type:||Full Time|
We are looking for a thoughtful, talented lead product designer to join the MMX design team to help shape our SwiftKey product that is used by millions of professionals, and consumers around the world to realize their potential.
What are we up to?
MMX design is responsible for Microsoft’s mobile experiences including SwiftKey, Microsoft Launcher, Your Phone, Mobile Edge, OneNote and Microsoft To-Do which span consumer, enterprise and education segments. These products are where ideas take shape and provide powerful collaboration tools that meet the changing needs of our users, while also supporting inclusive & adaptive learning. World-class visual and interaction design is a key component to the success of our mission.We partner closely with business and technology team members to envision, design, define, validate and deliver experiences that are effortless, intuitive, delightful and unified. We strive daily to ensure that the experiences our customers enjoy is simply the best in the industry. You are a strong, collaborative design leader who wears many hats, thinks conceptually and strategically about design and is passionate about software/hardware/services. You have a clear understanding of each facet of the design process - information architecture + interaction design, research + usability, rapid prototyping, visual + motion design, brand integration, and content creation. You have experience in designing innovative consumer software experiences and have demonstrable experience in designing experiences with multiple input modalities. You have demonstrated ability to effectively partner with product planners and managers, program managers and development team members to shepherd end to end experiences from concept to ship. You are a great creator, collaborator, communicator and coach.
Who we're looking for:
- You are passionate about creating beautiful, crafted, meaningful interfaces and interactions with clarity and precision. You understand the critical role that interaction design plays as part of user experience. You think about the big picture, cross-device and cross-platform scenarios, and most importantly, the user from concept to execution.
- You have a strong grounding in a user centered design process and leverage research insights to identify important user needs, explore and iterate to define possible solutions to those problems and then validate your designs with users.
- You collaborate well with team members across multiple disciplines from Design, Engineering, and Business to understand the opportunities and right problems to solve for, and then find elegant, practical solutions. You have a pixel-perfect attention to detail in your process and the implementation of your work in the finished product. Your dedication to craftsmanship in product is of the highest order.
- You’re a clear and articulate communicator. You’re deliberate about your design approach, and you rely on feedback from the team and users to iterate. You thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment. You’re ready to take ownership of the design of a complex, growing product. You show great empathy for your audience.
- Your main consideration is the overall product experience. Everything you do will be to improve the lives of our users.
What you'll do:
- Work with the MMX Design Director to drive the experience vision for the group
- Connect with other product groups across the company to align and integrate experiences to create cohesive solutions for our customers.
- Communicate, document, and represent design direction to team members, senior management and key stakeholders
- Expertly craft documentation to represent the team’s vision around user experience, including: storyboards, schematics, style guides, movies, PPTs and prototypes
- Ensure the experience vision is driven by a well-defined nucleus of user needs, tasks, marketing and business requirements
- Direct and develop information architecture, wire frames and software UI that spans the groups products
- Work with design, development and program management teams to ensure interaction and visual designs communicate and function successfully for varying technical and performance specifications
- Work with user researchers to coordinate testing efforts, interpret test results, and incorporate results into design efforts
- Contribute to the building of a strong and successful design team
You should have:
- A current online portfolio. Please provide a link in your application.
- At least 5 years of experience designing and shipping software.
- Experience managing, coaching and growing a successful design team
- Fluency with designing mobile & desktop. Experience with larger screen experiences a plus. Most of our users cross between multiple devices.
- A degree in Design, Interaction Design, HCI or equivalent experience
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.