|Job Type:||Full Time|
Rare: we're not your typical developer. With over 30 years in the games industry, we are dedicated to crafting one beloved title after another, constantly trying new things, and infusing the fun we have every day into the games we create. Check out the Rare Replay collection for three whirlwind decades of evidence!
If you're a keen gamer, chances are you've already caught wind of Sea of Thieves, our epic shared world pirate adventure game released in March 2018. Whilst we’re committed to supporting Sea of Thieves for the long haul, we also beginning to think about what's out there beyond the horizon.
We strive to keep Rare a fantastic place to work, from its beautiful location and state-of-the-art facilities to a strong focus on work/life balance and inclusive culture.
Rare are looking for a talented and enthusiastic Senior AI Programmer to help bring our fantastical worlds and their inhabitants to life.
As a Senior AI Engineer, your responsibility will be to help investigate, design, direct and implement the full stack of systems required to build our AI creatures. You will be heavily involved in the architectural decisions of the AI systems required, working closely with Designers, Artists and Animators to ensure the long-term project goals are considered. You’ll be a key figure in our AI engineering team and be expected to explore state of the art AI and animation techniques where appropriate.
We’re big believers in high quality engineering here at Rare and aim for fast iteration with robust methods. This means that we embrace modern development practices such as continuous delivery, automated testing, code reviews, pair programming and agile methods.
We encourage everyone to explore and grow their own skills, whether through engineering discussions, volunteering to host one of our in-house workshops, or signing up to be part of our Engineering Process Group to help steer how we build games in the future.
- In conjunction with other disciplines; originate, implement and iterate on AI systems to bring our game world to life.
- Develop stimulus, emotion, animation and navigation solutions which are scalable and performant, using data and collaboration to help drive your approach.
- Identify and surface risks in the areas that are being worked on, autonomously highlighting solutions and reacting accordingly.
- Solve problems through the application of sound engineering practice.
- Continuously work to minimize technical debt and maintenance hazards.
- Devote time to personal improvement to further your own game development and programming knowledge.
- Champion quality in our development process, demonstrating our values and taking an active role in improvement of engineering at Rare.
- Be part of Rare’s culture; Be inquisitive, try things out, break stuff, help people be even better, and think like you own the place.
- Minimum of 5 years of commercial games programming industry experience
- Previous specialism in AI, with a deep technical understanding of working with the Unreal Engine 4 AI systems in a commercial context.
- A solid grounding in Computer Science theory and C++ development, and a genuine enthusiasm for the subject.
- Be enthusiastic about modern development techniques and be demonstrably keen to apply them to games. Test automation is a key element of our approach so experience with automation, or a willingness to learn, is essential.
Rare is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.