|Job Type:||Full Time|
We are looking to recruit an experienced Principal Geotechnical Instrumentation Engineer in our Croydon office to work in partnership with the Principal Engineer (Groundwater and Instrumentation) and provide specialist technical advice both internally and externally. This position presents a great opportunity to work with a wide range of global clients on multi-disciplinary projects and will enable you to broaden your experience and skills.
You will be responsible for all aspects of the design and implementation of geotechnical and structural monitoring systems for both temporary and permanent works (from baseline to post-construction / operation, where required). This involves working closely with Geotechnical Engineers, Structural Engineers and Clients during the design process to provide fit-for-purpose monitoring solutions for Clients and Contractors on both national and overseas projects.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Client liaison including attending meetings and delivering presentations
- Liaising with Geotechnical/Structural Engineers across the business units within Metros & Civils and the wider business for early design to understand the civil engineering and construction aspects of the project, identify 3rd party asset sensitivity and understand monitoring requirements in relation to trigger levels
- Direction and review of Instrumentation and Monitoring (I&M) design activities undertaken by Graduate engineers
- Analysis and interpretation of monitoring data for risk management during construction and validation of design assumptions
- Design and implementation of geotechnical and structural monitoring systems at scheme wide or asset specific levels including Instrumentation and Monitoring (I&M) inputs to any reports supporting engineering design for Clients or 3rd parties
- Providing documents for Sub-Contractor procurement such as Instrumentation and Monitoring (I&M) specifications, drawings and schedules.
- Training and mentoring the wider Geotechnical and Structural Engineering community within geotechnics
Does this sound like you?
As an Instrumentation and Geotechnical professional you have demonstrable experience in the design, supervision and specification of instrumentation for both temporary and permanent works within the UK engineering sector. Coming from a Consultancy or Contractor background you are confident in your geotechnical and practical settlement monitoring experience for above and below ground structures as well as your abilities in data review and quality assurance. You are capable of delivering multiple concurrent projects on time and are able to operate as both technical lead and team member as the scope and range of projects vary. You also enjoy keeping up to date the latest emerging monitoring technologies and exploring whether these advances can apply to the engineering sector considering practicalities and cost effectiveness.
You will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Degree qualified (MSc/BSc) in Engineering or Surveying or similar
- Good technical writing ability and presentation skills
- Proficient communication skills with people of all technical levels
Although not essential is would be advantageous if you have any postgraduate qualifications such as an MSc, Meng, MA or equivalent as would being chartered or being close to professional chartership with a recognised industry body (such as ICE or IStructE). Any experience in project management, team leadership, undertaking evidence reviews, structural health monitoring or using BIM as part of the design and implementation of monitoring systems would be desirable. Additionally, any knowledge or understanding of Eurocodes, geotechnical design requirements, the international ground engineering sector and I&M standards or ground movement assessments in the derivation of trigger levels would be beneficial. It would also be of benefit if you actively engage in professional institute working groups that develop guidance or standard for instrumentation and monitoring in civil engineering. Due to the nature of our projects, travel to client sites will be required and having a UK driving license would be beneficial for any travel to remote locations.
A little about us
Our Metros and Civils division manages and delivers projects for major below ground civil projects and is recognised as authoritative and cutting edge within our transportation business unit. We specialise in all aspects of structural design, foundations, geotechnics and tunnelling and contribute to some of the largest and most demanding structures in the world including HS2, Thames Tideway, Crossrail, Doha Metro, and a number of hydropower schemes in Georgia, Albania and Zambia.
Supporting our leading civil design capability, we have specialist geotechnical and structural engineering, engineering geology, hydrogeology, numerical modelling and seismic expertise within the division. In addition, our instrumentation engineers work with the wider network of monitoring specialists (including structural health monitoring, vibration and noise monitoring) across the group.
How to apply
If this sounds like somewhere you'd like to work, click apply to continue with your application.
We offer a competitive benefits package including our flexible benefits scheme covering additional holidays, pension, healthcare, life assurance, cycle to work, season ticket loan and much more. We have a collegiate and collaborative culture which values equality and diversity, and we take proactive steps to create an inclusive workplace. Together, we are opening opportunities with connected thinking.