|Job Type:||Full Time|
Be part of the solution. The environmental demands in the power, rail, highways, aviation and water sectors need environmental specialists who can think laterally. We are passionate about providing our clients with sustainable solutions by constantly looking at challenges from a fresh angle. For us to continue maintaining our collaborative client relationships and further grow our environmental capabilities, we are on the hunt for like-minded, forward-thinking individuals to add to our growing UK teams. As a result of this, we are recruiting for a Principal Freshwater Ecologist to join our team.
For more information about our Environment sector click here
For more information about our Water sector click here
You will be responsible for providing leadership to our freshwater ecology team. You will be part of a multidisciplinary environmental team, working closely with other disciplines to ensure ecological objectives for projects are delivered successfully, within budget and to programme. You will have the opportunity to develop and grow the team.
Ideally you would be based in one of our offices in Cambridge or Croydon but other locations may be considered. There will be a requirement to attend internal and client meetings, along with some site visits.
Mott MacDonald works on an incredible variety of projects both in the UK and internationally. This role represents the opportunity for you to input into one of the largest EIAs in UK planning history with a significant level of highly specialised and unique aquatic work. Numerous other UK-based projects with aquatic inputs are also underway. Additionally, you would have the opportunity to contribute to international projects in a wide range of sectors (including hydropower) and many geographic locations.
- Highly competent freshwater ecologist with good UK experience across a variety of aquatic survey types as well as data analysis
- Specialism in aquatic invertebrates, fish and/or environmental flows is desirable
- Experience in international ESIA, due diligence, IFC Performance Standard 6 is highly desirable
- Degree in ecology/ biology or directly related subject (minimum of 2.1 classification). A postgraduate qualification is desirable.
- Proven experience in a consultancy environment
- Mentoring skills for junior staff
- Excellent report writing skills, including survey reports, EcIAs, HRAs, WFDs and tenders
- Proven ability to win work
- Excellent understanding of the development of mitigation strategies for aquatic protected species and habitats
- Experience in preparation and writing ecological sections of environmental impact assessments ensuring that legislative guidelines are met
- Experience of people management
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, take the initiative, make robust, defensible decisions and work to tight deadlines to meet client needs
- Full member of a relevant professional body and ideally a Chartered Environmentalist or Ecologist
- Full, clean driving licence
We have a collegiate and collaborative culture which values equality and diversity, and we take proactive steps to create an inclusive workplace. Together, we are opening opportunities with connected thinking. If this sounds like somewhere you'd like to work, click apply to continue with your application.