|Job Type:||Full Time|
Rare: we're not your typical developer. Our 30+ years in the game-making business have been dedicated to crafting one beloved title after another, constantly trying new things, and infusing the fun we have every day into the games we create. Check out the Rare Replay collection for three whirlwind decades of evidence! We strive to keep Rare a fantastic place to work, from its beautiful location and state-of-the-art facilities to a strong focus on work/life balance.
If you're a keen gamer, chances are you've already caught wind of our epic shared world pirate adventure Sea of Thieves, released in March 2018 and a journey we're committed to for the long haul even as we begin to think about what's out there beyond the horizon. With every day bringing new challenges and discoveries in equal measure, there's never been a more rewarding time to join our daredevil crew!
Do you have the drive to solve tricky challenges and a thirst for innovation? Are you determined to make the best games possible? You could be our next Junior Technical Artist at Rare!
You will be part of a growing dynamic team whose key responsibility is to push for quality and efficiency wherever possible. Working with the Art, Engineering and Design teams, you will have the opportunity to develop flexible content pipelines. You will also work collaboratively on new cutting-edge features with the programming teams, whilst always searching for ways we can improve.
Rare’s games have always had a unique and iconic style to their art direction and our teams are essential in making that happen. If you want to be part of something special, we want to hear from you!
Work with the Art Teams to deliver our game’s artistic vision.
Support the Art, Engineering and Design teams, helping to resolve technical difficulties.
Implement briefs provided by other teams, delivering reliable tools in a realistic timeframe.
Proactively identify new technologies and techniques that will improve the game.
Create concise documentation of toolsets that the team can rely on when required.
Help keep Assets / Content within memory budget and follow performance guidelines.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- A professional portfolio or technical blog.
- Degree in a related subject or equivalent development experience
- Has relevant game development experience and contribution in creating tools for Artists.
- Knowledge of programming languages such as Python/C#/C++/HLSL.
- Knowledge of 3D creation packages (Maya/MotionBuilder/etc).
- Interest in cloth, rigid/soft body physics setup.
- Up-to-date knowledge of current game development practices and terminology.
- Experience with Unreal Engine or equivalent.
- Problem-solving skills.
- A broad technical understanding with the capacity to learn and utilise new skills quickly.
- Excellent communication skills, proactive and organised individual.
- Ability to take direction and constructive feedback.
Rare is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.