|Job Type:||Full Time|
As a Transport Planner or Senior Transport Planner, you will be an integral member of our growing transport team in our Southampton office. You will be involved in:
- Undertaking technical transport planning project work including some/all of the following:
- transport impact assessments
- access studies, transport policy and strategy development
- analysis of traffic counts and other transport data
- junction capacity and accident analysis
- transport appraisal and the development of business cases for major schemes
- public transport improvements
- smarter choices studies
- preliminary design of transport schemes.
- Working with other Mott MacDonald colleagues, external partners and our clients, on delivering projects covering the above disciplines
- Report writing, including technical transport planning documents as well as those for a non-specialist audience, and the preparation of presentation material Project management of small and medium sized commissions initially, increasing as skills and experience develop, with the guidance and support of senior colleagues
- Supporting in business development activities, including the preparation of bids and writing proposals.
The role will therefore provide an excellent opportunity for an enthusiastic professional to demonstrate their already well-developed transport planning knowledge and technical skills, and to further develop their skills in project management and client relationships.
Candidate Specification :
You must have a degree or equivalent in a relevant transportation discipline such as civil engineering, urban planning, transport planning, geography, or environmental studies. You should preferably be actively working towards chartership, which we will support you to do. Post-graduate qualifications in transport planning or a related area would be of benefit but not essential.
You will also need to demonstrate a proven track record in the delivery of transport planning projects, ideally with some expertise in transport strategy and policy development and development planning.
You must also be able to demonstrate:
- Relevant experience within a consultancy, local authority, or Government/Agency environment;
- Technical competency in transport planning, including in some or all of the areas set out in 'Job Description' above;
- Knowledge of the current UK transport policy context and the ability to utilise this knowledge through projects and client interaction;
- Excellent report writing and other written and numerical presentation skills;
- Strong communication skills, both within project teams and when in a client environment.
- An ability to apply sound analytical and numerical skills to project work, including the use of relevant computer packages - these might include technical transport planning tools from TRICS through to transport modelling packages, Geographical Information Systems and CAD, as well as standard Office packages;
- Commercial awareness and the ability to develop and maintain good client relationships;
- Experience in contributing to proposals and winning new work;
- An ability to solve complex problems and identify new innovative solutions;
- Ability to work within larger multi-disciplinary project teams across Mott MacDonald;
- Commitment to continuous improvement and innovation across transport planning;
- Willingness to work simultaneously on a number of projects and to work with different teams around our UK and overseas offices.
Job Profile :
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate, and take positive steps to create an inclusive culture.
Despite our global presence, we pride ourselves on being able to provide a local service to our customers wherever they are. We have transport planners located across the UK and are currently looking for Transport Planners or Senior Transport Planners to assist in the delivery of our existing portfolio of work and build on the continuing success and growth of our work in the South of England and elsewhere.
Our work covers a diverse spectrum, ranging from the development of local transport plans and strategies to the planning behind some of the World's largest infrastructure projects such as Heathrow's third runway and High Speed 2.
Although the focus of your work will be on projects in the South of England, our Southampton office sits within our overall Transport Planning South team from where a range of other staff assist with project delivery and advice. We work closely with teams based in London and Croydon.
Much of our current workload locally is for private sector clients, and includes a number of exciting new development proposals, as well as work to support local authorities. We would expect you to take an active role in supporting the delivery of these projects for both the private and public sectors.