Role Title: Data Analyst
Business: Financial Crime Risk
New or Existing Role: New
- Financial Crime Threat Mitigation (FCTM) focuses on the specific financial crime threats the firm faces now and in the future, pioneering the techniques and technology that protect our business, our customers, and the many communities in which we operate from the harms associated with financial crime. FCTM harnesses intelligence, analytics, technology, investigation, information sharing, and public-private partnership to achieve this end, always seeking the most effective and efficient means. FCTM is also partnering with Financial Crime Compliance to build the case for a more efficient and effective regulatory approach by defining a potential new regulatory landscape based on practical, tested innovation and serving as a thought leader in the ongoing public debate on the future of regulatory compliance.
- The Product Management team ensures that essential systems and data are available to enable FCTM to conduct effective and efficient investigations and analytics. The team is proactive and future-looking, shaping financial crime technology and promoting its adoption across Compliance.
The role requires close and productive working relationships with the IT development team and FCTM analysts, and skilled relationship management with both internal system owners and external data vendors. The role holder will be part of a small team, who are responsible for all activity across the multiple work streams of the FCTM Data Platforms team.
- The role may require occasional nationwide or overseas travel.
Impact on Business
- Develop specialist knowledge of the product management process to support all new project and enhancement requests within the overall FCTM and Compliance objectives.
- Proactive enhancements to the data integrated into FCTM tools and systems to provide timely, reliable and actionable intelligence on potential financial crime risks to senior managers within the business.
- Gathering and organising knowledge of data flows and repositories. Analysis of data schemas and samples. Prototyping of data processing algorithms.
- Evaluation of new data presentations, data management and acquisition tools.
- Entrepreneurial identification of new data sources to enhance and develop the capabilities of the existing system.
Customers / Stakeholders
- Build networks and manage day-to-day relationships with all staff on data technology related matters in Risk and Business.
- Collate requests from business and risk for intelligence or opportunities to leverage FCTM technology and data to help in the prioritisation process.
- Strengthen and broaden internal relationships with global functions, lines of business, regions, and countries who directly benefit from or interact with FCTM systems, including:
- Regional Product Management colleagues within FCTM
- FCTM managers and lead users
- Compliance stakeholders
- Software delivery and operations colleagues
- Lines of business stakeholders
Leadership & Teamwork
- Provides support and direction at a global and regional levels within FCTM and Compliance, on data related technology policies and usage.
- Establish and promote a learning culture focused on open feedback and continuous improvement.
- Pro-active and supportive of colleagues and able to demonstrate imitative and a logical approach to solving business issues.
- Develop and share knowledge across the FCTM function.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Ensure business and regulatory implications of system design and operation are proactively anticipated, considered and communicated throughout the lifecycle.
- Establish manual and automated technical processes to ensure and evidence rigorous adherence to Group policies and management of operational risk.
- Maintain sound understanding of key threats and system vulnerabilities and engage proactively with risk stewards to mitigate the impact of compromise.
- Identifying and driving data enhancements to the FCTM Data Platforms estate to drive greater global operational effectiveness and increase the return on investment.
- Exploring existing data structures to identify quality issues, duplicate data and datasets that can be joined together to provide an enhanced intelligence picture. Understanding prototyping and testing data matching hypotheses is key to this work. In many cases it will be necessary to reverse-engineer the data to deduce its structure and interpret it correctly.
- Developing and maintaining strong and productive relationships with a diverse set of customers and stakeholders.
- Using the technical and business knowledge to formulate actionable solutions to problems or identify new opportunities to enhance the system.
- Working in a new and developing department and using technology without precedence in the banking environment.
- Rapidly developing an accurate understanding of highly complex tool intelligence analytics tools, including multiple data feeds, network analysis logic and algorithmic scoring models.
- Developing a large body of contextual knowledge on banking sectors and the associated specific financial crime risks.
The role holder will be expected to demonstrate considerable entrepreneurial spirit to obtain the necessary knowledge and identify and realise opportunities.
The role holder will have access to highly sensitive information and must exercise sound judgement in protecting it whilst adhering to all relevant rules and regulations.
The role holder will be required to work with team members in multiple jurisdictions and time zones.
- Due to the nature of the role there is limited direct financial responsibility. However, the largest fraud/financial crime events in the banking environment have the potential to result in losses of billions of dollars, so the indirect financial impact of the role is highly significant.
- The role itself involves risk management and the role holder must show strong leadership in this area by continually reassessing the operational risks associated with the role, taking account of changing economic, legal, technological and regulatory environments and adhering to all procedures and practices.
Observation of Internal Controls
- The role holder must adhere to all relevant internal controls and should be able to demonstrate a flawless track record in this area.