|Job Type:||Full Time|
Role Title: SeniorControl Officer
New or Existing Role? New
- The Chief Control Office (CCO) is arisk and control function primarily responsible for improving and strengtheningthe Global Markets Operations’ (GMO) control environment.It is a global and cross asset-class functionthat resides within GMO but also has functional alignment to the GBM CCOproviding global strategic direction of the CCO function. The Risk Process andControl (RPC team), one of the three functional pillars of CCO, drives theeffective implementation and embedding of the Operational Risk ManagementFramework (ORMF), policies and key control standards. RPC works closely withthe business line in ensuring that our control estate is efficiently andeffectively managing our risk exposure to within management’s risk appetite.They will also play a key role in helping support and where necessary leading,the enhancement/improvement of controls and best practice within the assetclass /business line.
- The role holder will be primarilyaligned to support and drive Global Markets UK CASS (client asset protection)requirements which are cross asset and business, and will additionally beexpected to contribute to key delivery for the wider CCO function in relationto risk initiatives and remediation programmes.
Responsibilities to include:
- Alongside the Global Functional RPC Head,responsible for the implementation and embedding of governance and risk andcontrol strategies supporting CASS adherence across GM Markets, and servicesoutlined in the RPC pillar of the target operating model.
- Working closely with the Operations teams andthe Business to ensure robust CASS controls are in place and appropriatelydocumented within the CASS tool kit. Act as an additional point of escalationwith regards to CASS related upstream/downstream control issues. Influencefunctions in their remediation of control gaps.
- Managing and overseeing CASS risk breaches,events, lessons learnt and themed analysis. Monitor the implementation of managementaction plans to ensure timely remediation and enhancements are incorporated inthe control environment.
- Executing deep-dive process and controloptimisation reviews, undertake regular monitoring of the risk profile and ofthe effectiveness of controls, support delivery of risk remediationinitiatives. Perform CASS assurance testing and targeted thematic reviews toreduce the risk of unidentified or aged control gaps. Challenge and influenceprocess design and control weaknesses to continuously improve the control andprotection of client assets.
- Institutionalising a robust CASS training anddevelopment programme to increase CASS awareness, understanding and cultureacross Global Markets.
- Acting as one of the principal contacts point andconduit for Client Asset Oversight Office/ 2nd / 3rd Linesof defence and other external reviews relating to the CASS role remit.
- Supporting the implementation of new policies,control standards and procedures in accordance with the Bank’s policy / riskappetite. Provide CASS support and advice to the Operations team.
- Ensuring that the agenda / contents of riskgovernance forums (as required) are ‘fit for purpose’ so that key controlissues and emerging risks are appropriately discussed and addressed.
- Proactively managing the implementation andconsistent adherence to the ORMF and internal control framework, ensuring thatkey operational and emerging risks have been identified and are being managedwithin a strong governance framework.
- Participating in CCO-wide riskinitiatives, control reviews and program/project implementation as directedby the GlobalFunctional RPC Head.
- Support the Operations line and CCO teams inthe development of a stronger control and conduct culture for the asset class /business line.
- Operate as a
senior manager, alongside the Global Functional RPC Head, to drive the
direction, co-ordination and delivery of RPC.
- Drive increased
levels of CASS assurance across Markets to enhance client protection.
- Partner with the
business to facilitate process improvement, control optimisation and drive
down CASS related operational risk across the business.
- Support GMO CCO
leadership in ensuring the appropriate control structure is in place and
that identified risk and control issues are appropriately addressed.
- Maintain strong
and effective working relationships across the 1st, 2nd
and 3rd Lines of Defence to deliver results relevant to
functional / role remit.
- A Risk Culture leader. Contribute
to risk / control education and learning initiatives, promoting policies
and best practices.
- Highly motivated
to deliver results using own initiative and with little direction.
- Ability to deal
with difficult and conflicting situations, clearly articulate an argument
to influence the outcome.
- Provide challenge
to management across the function, hold individuals accountable for their
risks and timely resolution thereof, and influence seniors relating to
policy and control standards adoption, implementation and embedding.
OperationalEffectiveness & Control
follows and demonstrates compliance with all relevant internal and
external rules, regulations and procedures that apply to the conduct of
the business, specifically Internal Controls and any Compliance policy
including the Group Compliance policy.
- Maintains HSBC
Internal Control standards, including the timely implementation of
internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external
- Must be adaptable,
responsive to business needs and changing priorities, and thrive under
pressure where delivery deadlines can be short.
- Operating and
being effective within a diverse and complex operational risk, control and
regulatory environment that is continually altering in scope and focus. A
deep understanding of FCA CASS regulation is required to enable effective
challenge of the CASS risk profile and an informed view to be formed on
the completeness and adequacy of CASS controls across GMO.
- Operating with a
true sense of urgency, pace and collaboration in a matrix-managed
- Delivering the
highest quality, most concise output for senior management and
occasionally external parties at all times.
- Balancing the
often conflicting requirements of Group and the businesses without
alienating any of the key stakeholders.
- To challenge with
authority and respect the risk profile of CASS, maintaining a balance
between risk reward / commercial benefit.
- This is a senior management role, based in
London, reporting to the RPC Global Functional Head for GMO GMO BSM, Cash
Services, CASS, EMEA Sites.
- Direct face off to GMO cross asset class
management teams and interaction with the Global Markets business.