|Job Type:||Full Time|
Role Title: SeniorLegal Counsel
New or Existing Role? Existing
- To work within the MME/BB sub-team
of the UK CMB Legal Team, supporting various segments of the UK Commercial
- Providing legal
advice, guidance and support in connection with:
- Bankingproducts, in particular the provision of lending products, credit andtransactions and taking security
- Generalday to day transactional, and other customer facing, legal enquiries andsupervise others in doing the same
- Initiativesand change programs
- Newproduct propositions
- ProductGovernance and approvals
- Provisionof regulated lending and other products
- Redressand remediation programmes
- Supporting the Head
of Mid-Market Enterprises and Business Banking CMB Legal Counsel with the
provision of legal advice and legal risk management controls and
relationships with senior stakeholders overseeing the legal support
provided across UK CMB in relation to the Business areas supported by the
- Identifying, formulating,
co-ordinating and communicating policies, procedures and controls to
ensure that the Group’s exposure to legal risk in the jobholder’s
allocated Business/area of expertise is effectively managed.
- Provide counsel and manage legal support in
relation to products, transactions, projects and material regulatory
issues having an impact on MME/BB CMB business.
- Be considered a trusted adviser to the
business by ensuring that commercially sensitive, pragmatic and practical
legal support and advice is provided in a cost-effective manner.
- Provide support and guidance to MME/ BB CMB
business in the UK with regard to legal risks and regulatory development
arising in jobholder’s area of expertise
- Provide support and guidance on both
business and industry lead projects.
- Provide prompt, commercial, practical and sometimes
complex and / or specialised legal advice to MME/BB CMB UK.
- Be proactive in the provision of legal
support and in advising the business promptly of material legal
developments and their implications
- Ensure senior legal management is fully
briefed on major issues arising and major legislative changes in area of
- Help execute MME/BB CMB UK regulatory,
business and projects.
- Maintain and develop positive and
professional working relationships with all team members within the UK CMB
Legal Team and all key stakeholders
- Participate effectively as part of the UK CMB
Legal Team and the wider Legal Function
- Share legal knowledge and best practices with
legal colleagues and key stakeholders
OperationalEffectiveness & Control
- Provide legal services in a prompt,
practical, commercial and cost-effective manner
- Assist the business to remain compliant
with legal risk management requirements set out in the Group Standards
Manual and Legal FIM.
- Ability to adapt workstyle to meet complex
and varied workloads.
- Ability to prioritise workloads in terms
of legal risk and commercial consideration.
- Maintain knowledge of HSBC Group
operations and policies.
- Ability to think independently being
mindful of maintaining an appropriate balance between management and mitigation
of legal risk and business efficacy.
- Deepening knowledge of areas of
specialty with ability to take a view as to how law is developing in order
to properly advise senior Business stakeholders.
- Enhanced relationship with higher
levels of management inspiring confidence of customers/stakeholders
- Ability to balance the need for
further analysis and the need for a timely decision given commercial
- Continued understanding of industry
and digital developments relevant to the jobholder’s role
- Thejobholder reports to the Head of Mid-Market Enterprises and Business Banking CMBUK managing all aspects of legal risk. The diversity of HSBC’s business, its geographic spread and the constantchanges internally and externally means the diversity of matters which thejobholder is required to manage and advise on is very wide;
- Thejobholder must also establish close mutually supportive working relationshipswith other members of the CMB UK Legal Team and the wider Legal Function.
- The jobholder will work largely
autonomously, but seek management input on unusual situations, highly
complex issues, and matters that may pose significant legal, financial and
/ or reputational risk to HSBC.
Management of Risk
- The jobholder is responsible for
(i) providing legal advice against the backdrop of both the external Legal
framework and the internal Group Standards Manual and the Legal FIM; and
(ii) assisting UK CMB to manage legal risks associated with the
initiatives it is undertaking.
Observation of InternalControls
- Thejobholder is an “insider” for dealing purposes and subject to strict controlsand confidentiality;
- Maintain HSBC internal control
standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit
points together with any issues raised by external regulators