|Job Type:||Full Time|
Senior Software Engineer, Azure CAT Technical Delivery
Do you have a passion for building cloud solutions that address the most challenging customer scenarios and then translating solution findings into measurable engineering feedback to drive the platform forward? Do you enjoy working directly with Microsoft’s largest and most strategic customers and partners in addition to Microsoft’s product teams? Do you have a record of accomplishment architecting and implementing innovative cloud solutions? Are you passionate about scalable and resilient cloud service design? Are you an agile developer who takes pride in learning quickly and coding against a variety of cloud services and implementing over the latest and greatest micro service platforms? If so, this role might be ideal for you!
The Azure Customer Advisory Team (AzureCAT), a team of software engineers, program managers, and architects within the Cloud and AI (C+AI) engineering organization, is seeking a Senior Software Engineer with deep expertise and track record on designing and implementing scalable, resilient and high-performance cloud services.
This AzureCAT role will be focused on:
- Engaging with Microsoft’s most important customers and partners to ensure solutions are designed, built, and deployed successfully on Azure
- Enabling organizations to realize the true benefit of Azure IaaS and PaaS architectures for mission critical workloads
- Identifying solution patterns, gaps, whitespace, limits and adoption barriers and vigorously driving feedback into the engineering teams to fuel the continued evolution of our cloud platform
- Building cloud solutions with our most ambitious customers to help them succeed on complex projects
- Working hands-on on critical parts of a customer solution to implement architecture best practices and learn from the customer end-to-end experience on the Azure platform
- Working with Microsoft Azure engineering product teams and field teams to internalize customer requirements, design and review solutions, and deploy these into pilots, proof of technology/concept and production environments
The role is a technical, customer facing role, accountable for accelerating and unblocking innovative solutions on behalf of C+AI engineering product teams. Helping our largest customers is only one piece of the role. This role presents a great opportunity to have direct impact on both our cloud products and strategy, and our customers’ success. As a critical part of engineering it is our charter to drive measurable change back into Azure services, having a clear impact on product roadmap and deliverables. We do this by turning customer challenges and opportunities into improvements to the Azure cloud platform. Our team is instrumental to ensuring Azure is well-aligned with the most compelling workloads and scenarios.
The ideal candidate for this position will have demonstrated design and implementation experience with Azure or other public clouds, passion for working directly with customers leading technical discussions and design sessions at any level of seniority. They will be able to drive key decisions on architecture and implementation.
Success in this role also depends heavily on collaboration with generalists and specialists within the team and in Microsoft field and delivery teams (Microsoft Consulting and Microsoft partners).
Required skills for this role include:
- Applicant must be a UK citizen.
- 8+ years of software delivery experience including architecture and coding, ideally building cloud services on public/open source repos.
- Deep technical knowledge of cloud architecture and services (PaaS and IaaS) on either Azure, AWS or GCP
- Depth skills in at least some of the most common Azure Services and APIs, coupled with an ability to learn others quickly
- Depth skills and experience building software on top of at least one modern cloud execution/orchestration environment (Kubernetes, Service Fabric, Cloud Foundry etc.)
- Hands on experience with architecting, designing and developing distributed or cloud solutions with significant scale, volume, and complexity.
- Solid engineering fundamentals. Experienced with CI/CD pipeline, test driven development, pull requests, and source control.
- Results driven with strong analytical and communication skills with the ability to articulate key design decisions and tradeoffs
- Excellent team collaboration skills, and customer obsession. Unwavering commitment to shared team goals.
- Understanding of cloud fundamentals for secure, performant and scalable online services
- Aptitude and hunger to learn and adapt to the ever-changing cloud technology spectrum across multiple platforms
Desired skills for this role include:
- Experience with other cloud platforms. Preferably AWS and / or GCP
- Deep understanding and application of managing Azure at scale in production environments with Azure Resource Manager, Azure CLI and PowerShell and the concept of infrastructure as code
- Experience with micro services design patterns and orchestration options
- Hands on experience managing mission critical workloads in a dev ops production environment
- Demonstrated ability to engage customers and partners to understand business needs and priorities before structuring a path forward
- A Bachelor or Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related discipline or the equivalent
This role will be based in the London, UK area. Travel will be a mix of on-site customer engagement and travel to Microsoft global engineering centers and is expected to be 20-30%.
AzureCAT embraces diversity and the concept of team. We enjoy great challenges, collaboration and seeing our customers and partners succeed. We have a start-up and challenger mind-set and are deeply passionate about our customers and our architectural standards. We work hard on big complex projects, but we have a great time doing it.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.