|Location:||Greater London, Warwickshire|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Rare: we're not your typical developer. Our 30+ years in the game-making business have been dedicated to crafting one beloved title after another, constantly trying new things, and infusing the fun we have every day into the games we create. Check out the Rare Replay collection for three whirlwind decades of evidence! We strive to keep Rare a fantastic place to work, from its beautiful location and state-of-the-art facilities to a strong focus on work/life balance.
If you're a keen gamer, chances are you've already caught wind of our epic shared world pirate adventure Sea of Thieves, released in March 2018 and a journey we're committed to for the long haul even as we begin to think about what's out there beyond the horizon. With every day bringing new challenges and discoveries in equal measure, there's never been a more rewarding time to join our daredevil crew!
We are looking for a Senior Technical Artist (Rigger) to join our growing Technical Art team at Rare. We want to hear from people who have a passion for solving difficult challenges, a thirst for innovation and a drive for making the best games possible.
You will be part of a dynamic team whose key responsibility is to push for quality and efficiency wherever possible. Working with all Art teams, Engineering disciplines and Design teams, you will help define and assist in making flexible content pipelines and work collaboratively on new cutting-edge features with the Programming teams, whilst always searching for ways we can improve.
If you have the skills and passion we are looking for and, most importantly, want to be part of something special, we want to hear from you!
The role can be based in Twycross or London. If London, then travel to Twycross will be required as per business needs.
- Deliver complete tool sets independently.
- Work with the Art teams and Leads to deliver the game to the artistic vision.
- Be responsible for identifying and creating tools to improve content creation and animation pipelines.
- Support the Art, Engineering and Design teams, helping to resolve technical difficulties.
- Use your experience to identify production risks and development improvements across the Art team and the company as a whole.
- Implement briefs provided by other teams, delivering reliable tools in a realistic timeframe.
- Proactively identify new technologies and techniques to improve the quality of the game.
- Create concise documentation for toolsets that the team can rely on.
- Help keep assets/content within memory budget and follow performance guidelines
Required Skills and Experience
- A professional portfolio or technical blog.
- Degree in Computer Science or similar related subject.
- At least one full project cycle as a Technical Artist specialising in character/creature rigging.
- At least four years' game development experience, seeing projects from beginning to end as a Technical Artist. Experience of working on console is a must.
- Knowledge of programming languages such as Python/C#/C++.
- Deep knowledge of 3D creation packages (Maya, MotionBuilder etc.)
- Experience with cloth and rigid/soft body physics setup.
- Up-to-date experience and knowledge of current game development practices and terminology.
- Experience with Unreal Engine or equivalent is a plus.
- Excellent eye for quality control and detail.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, with the ability to use existing knowledge to rapidly improvise solutions.
- A broad technical understanding with the capacity to learn and utilise new skills quickly.
- Experience in dealing with the idiosyncrasies of team project work.
- Excellent communication skills; a proactive and organised individual.
- Ability to take direction and constructive feedback.
- Self-motivated and passionate about your work.
Rare is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, colour, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please discuss this with your recruiter. Benefits/perks may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.