Senior Airframe Design Engineer
To develop current and next generation aircraft products and technologies, numerous opportunities exist for those interested in the challenges across several lifecycle phases. The Tempest programme has provided a significant increase in Design Engineering resource demand. In the delivery of the Air projects, we are aiming to develop, sustain and replenish Design Engineering knowledge, skills and experience. The purpose of this vacancy description is to establish a role for professional staff to be deployed on Team Tempest or to be deployed on other Air programmes within BAE Systems to allow staff to be released to participate in the Tempest programme and related tasks across the range of Design Engineering skills.
The roles will equip successful applicants with career fulfilling and personally rewarding experience.
Air Sector is the part of BAE Systems responsible for the design, development, manufacture, clearance and in-service support of fixed wing combat and training aircraft, and unmanned air vehicles. We also provide training, support and information services for the UK RAF and other customers worldwide.
The Airframe Design Engineering Discipline is responsible for producing the physical product definition against a set of system functional requirements from multiple sources. The capabilities of Design Engineers comprise a range of sub-skills in the creation of solutions to satisfy conceptual, preliminary definition and detail design, verification/compliance, build/assembly and in-service support lifecycle phases. Design deliveries are produced for manufacturing and through-life upgrades. A variety of Computer-Aided Design (CAD) and Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE) applications toolset versions are used in the creation and upgrades of design definition to achieve customer requirements, in compliance with functional and business processes.
These roles can be located in Warton or Samlesbury
Senior Airframe Design Engineer role responsibilities:
- Airframe Design capabilities comprise one or more of the following design technical skills areas:
- Concept & Configuration Design
- Structural Design - Composites
- Structural Design – Metallics
- Mechanical Systems Design
- Fluid Systems Design
- Electrical Circuits Design
- Electrical Installation Design
- Build & In-Service Design Support
- Surface Definition
- Computer Aided Design
- Components Engineering
- Processes & Procedures
- Analysing information and applying sound engineering judgement to solve problems.
- Need to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to a variety of stakeholders.
- Working with external customers, suppliers and partners.
- Managing Design tasks to meet design review criteria and programme schedules.
- Working in a multidisciplinary integrated product development environment influencing adjacent Airframe and Systems disciplines.
Applying relevant engineering and design standards and processes to product definition.
- We are looking for candidates who typically hold a relevant engineering qualification to HNC/HND level or above.
- To demonstrate a level of proficiency in CATIA V5 / Capital Logic or equivalent toolsets (dependent on role), and experience in a PLM system.
- To demonstrate an ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to a variety of stakeholders.
- Preferably candidates would have experience working in a multidisciplinary integrated product development environment influencing adjacent Airframe and Systems disciplines.
- Ideally candidates would have experience in independent design checking/approval.
- Ability to work effectively in a team.
- Possessing Design Check experience
- Experience in leading/guiding other Design staff preferable
- Experience of operating in an airframe design role preferably in one or more phases of an airframe product lifecycle desirable.
- Experience of working with external customers, suppliers and partners desirable.
- Experience of managing Design tasks to meet design review criteria and programme schedules preferable.
Salary: £37, 654 +
Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
BAE Systems Air
BAE Systems Air brings together the company’s international capabilities and expertise to respond to customers' current and future requirements, and compete for international export and collaborative opportunities. In the UK, BAE Systems Air has an unrivalled track record and expertise in the development, delivery and support of military air platforms, components and technologies through Typhoon, F-35 Lightning II, Tornado and Hawk.
BAE Systems Air has the capability to provide customers with information superiority through the delivery of actionable intelligence and information, together with the provision of innovative information systems and services. Training is a key enabler to delivering military capability, and at BAE Systems we bring together our expertise in the analysis, design, build and delivery of training solutions into a powerful combination for our military customers around the world.
Working as an integral part of the team delivering information superiority and effective air power, our aim is to provide our customers with the capabilities and intelligence that really matters.
BAE Systems is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at BAE Systems, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities. Please note we will not use any personal information relating to your background at any stage of the application process.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.