Senior Software Engineer
Do you want to write software for the UK’s latest frontline fighter, augmented/virtual reality trainers for nuclear submarines or 3D mission planning systems for military aircraft? Interested in using machine learning on big data to maximise availability for aircraft, ships and land vehicles or developing web based solutions to keep airspace safe?
BAE Systems people come from all walks of life and professional backgrounds. Join a team where high standards of work are expected and encouraged, where people are understood, valued and you can develop and enhance your skills and knowledge.
Your main responsibilities as a Senior Software Engineer will involve:
- Ownership of requirements, design and implementation, and test to a high standard, within schedule and estimates
- Software development of solutions
- Testing of completed functionality
- Adherence to project processes and software development practices
- Reporting on progress and providing feedback to team members and leadership
- Supporting System Test and Integration Activities
- Production of appropriate technical documentation
- Design of technical solutions
- Estimation of development activities
As part of the software team you will be expected to work closely with team members, and support the team and/or project leadership in daily activities. You may also be asked to lead teams of up to 10 engineers.
Your skills and qualifications as a Senior Software Engineer:
Proven competence in:
- Software development lifecycle and processes (e.g. design, coding, unit testing), and tools (e.g. UML design tools, code IDEs)
- Desktop-based applications (Java and Eclipse RCP or C#/C++)
- Web-oriented applications and services (Java/C#, JSP, HTML, CSS, Apache middleware)
- Business intelligence/analytics tools and techniques (ETL, SQL, Python)
- Windows or Linux target environments
- Object-oriented design/development including UML
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
BAE Systems is one of the world’s leading global defence, security and aerospace companies. We work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries.
BAE Systems Air
If you’d like to make a real difference where it counts, BAE Systems is the place for you.
From keeping soldiers, sailors and pilots safe to helping countries prosper, from developing the next generation of supersonic aircraft to investing in the next generation of super-smart talent – at BAE Systems, we work together to give our customers an essential edge in protecting the things that really matter. Lives, livelihoods, ways of life.
As part of our Air team, you could be working at the edge of what is technologically possible, shaping the future to ensure our customers are ready to face challenges we cannot even imagine today. You could be developing and evolving the technologies that will defend the UK for generations to come and supporting our customers around the globe.
Join us and you’ll be encouraged and rewarded to excel in this important work. Apply your talent where it counts.
We recognise that an inclusive and diverse workplace – where all employees feel respected, valued and able to achieve their full potential – is vitally important. Not only does it inspire creativity and collaboration, it’s good for business. We celebrate our differences and believe our diverse skills, abilities and perspectives strengthen our culture and our overall performance.
We welcome applications from all suitably qualified people.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we sometimes close our vacancies early. It is therefore advisable to apply as early as possible if you would like to be considered for a role with BAE Systems.