|Job Type:||Full Time|
Our Foundations & Geotechnics team are currently looking to recruit a Principal Engineer to join one of our Croydon, Reading, Birmingham or Bristol offices.
As a Principal Geotechnical Engineer in our successful Foundations and Geotechnics team, you will have the opportunity to broaden your experience and work with a range of public and private sector clients on some key and major projects. You will be involved in managing and producing design solutions in line with current Eurocodes, reports specifications and drawings covering a range of project requirements within foundations and geotechnics. You'll deliver various geotechnical and underground structures projects and provide technical leadership through leading the team and managing their design work. You'll also support larger projects acting as client liaison and contributing to risk assessments, employing sustainability and undertaking budgeting and cost control.
Your responsibilities will include the following:
- Design foundations and substructures associated with large underground spaces such as deep basements and shafts, metro boxes, earthworks and slope stability
- Management and delivery of Ground Investigation (scope, specifications, supervision, GIRs, GBRs etc)
- Design retaining wall systems and major temporary works associated with underground structures
- Lead in 2D and 3D numerical modelling for soil/structure interaction issues associated with below-ground structures
- Travel to project sites when necessary for project delivery and client liaison meetings
- Managing medium to large single and multi disciplinary design teams
Does this sound like you?
As a Principal Geotechnical Engineer in ground engineering and geotechnics, you are able to direct and deliver multiple concurrent projects or one large project on time and within budget. You've designed various geotechnical and foundation solutions using current standards and Eurocodes and have previously worked on major projects. You have strong interpersonal skills and are able to liaise with various clients and build professional relationships. You are comfortable with your technical expertise in the ground engineering sector and have gained various project management skills throughout your career as well as acted in a technical lead capability on numerous projects. You're an effective communicator and are able to collaborate with all levels of staff and clients. In addition to this, you are a relationship builder and understand the dynamics of working with a team as well as working autonomously. You are able to prioritise the needs of the Client to deliver high quality design to meet their needs.
You will also be able to demonstrate the following:
- Masters or PhD degree in Civil Engineering with emphasis on geotechnics
- Relevant geotechnical experience with experience in project delivery
- Chartered Engineer with the ICE or equivalent
- Experiencing of managing medium to large teams of engineers
- Experience of delivering Ground Investigations, GIRs and GBRs
- Experience guiding and nurturing a team of Engineers in their technical development
- Has mentored early career professionals as a DE or SCE
- Advanced user of PLAXIS 2D and PLAXIS 3D numerical modelling software
- Prepared to travel nationally and internationally as needed for any project
Although not essential, if you have knowledge and experience in programming/scripting (VBA, Python, etc.), this would be advantageous.
A little about us
Mott MacDonald below ground heavy civils and geotechnical engineering capability is recognised as authoritative and cutting edge. Our Metro and Civils Division specialise in all aspects of foundations, Geotechnics and tunnelling, and contribute to some of the largest and most demanding structures in the world. Our expertise includes delivering value management and value engineering, geotechnical advice, geotechnical information management, site investigations, rock engineering, slope engineering, geoseismic design, and 2D/3D numerical modelling. The projects we have engaged in include high speed infrastructure (HS1 and HS2), Victoria Station Upgrade, Doha Metro, Northern Line Extension, London Heathrow Third Runway Expansion Project, Crossrail and Crossrail 2, Nuclear New-build and Hydropower schemes as well as opportunities to work on and support projects World-wide in other regions of the Group. We were also voted Consulting Firm of the Year at the 2020 Ground Engineering Awards.
How to apply
If this sounds like somewhere you'd like to work, click apply to continue with your application and read the full job description and candidate specification. Our online application process takes about 10 minutes and you'll need to upload your CV/Resume. You have the option to upload a cover letter which is a great supporting document to help explain why you're interested in applying for this role. We are also happy to accept applicants on a full-time or part-time basis and are supportive of agile working. If you are interested in a part-time role, please ensure to highlight this in your covering letter.
We offer a competitive benefits package including our flexible benefits scheme covering additional holidays, pension, healthcare, life assurance, cycle to work, season ticket loan and much more. We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.