Senior Firmware Engineer (Home-based/Plymouth)
Schneider’s purpose is to empower all to make the most of our energy and resources, bridging progress and sustainability for all. We call this Life Is On .
Our mission is to be your digital partner for Sustainability and Efficiency .
We drive digital transformation by integrating world-leading process and energy technologies, end-point to cloud connecting products, controls, software and services, across the entire lifecycle, enabling integrated company management, for homes, buildings, data centers, infrastructure and industries.
We are the most local of global companies . We are advocates of open standards and partnership ecosystems that are passionate about our shared Meaningful Purpose, Inclusive and Empowered values. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtExntUe89c
The Residential Controls business within the Schneider Electric group is a global provider of devices for control of heating, hot water, humidity and cooling in domestic and small commercial installations. The business is investing heavily in new Smart Product design, market expansion and further development of existing markets. In particular, it is creating an exciting new range of Internet and cloud-connected smart products to exploit the opportunities provided by the rapid growth of the Internet of Things (IoT). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LXBa3UcrGI
Location : You will be working from home with occasional travel to Plymouth as required, with less than 10% of your time travelling. You will be working closely with Schneider R&D teams in the UK and across the world.
We are seeking a highly talented and self-motivated Senior Firmware Engineer to work in our UK team. You will be responsible for creating software for an efficient, maintainable and coherent product architecture for a wide range of home automation and IoT products.
Your key responsibilities:
- Full lifecycle involvement in the detailed design, coding and validation of embedded C software
- Collaborate with other global teams to ensure the timely delivery of new products according to agreed timescales
- Adopt in-house best practice for code integrity and design validation
- Ensure that the integrity of the system and software architecture is maintained throughout the lifecycle of the product
As an embedded C/C software engineer you will have a structured approach to design and verification with demonstrable skills in selecting appropriate software architectures. You will be able to produce efficient embedded software implementations and have a good appreciation of electronic hardware.
You will play a key role in the realisation of leading-edge smart home products. It is key that you can demonstrate you are a natural collaborator with a successful track record of embedded software delivery in your career to date. You will have a passion for design excellence and demonstrate outstanding technical competence.
Essential technical skills:
- Proven skills in modern C development on embedded Linux
- Demonstrable experience in Test-Driven Development, Continuous Integration and distributed revision control tools (such as Git)
- Degree in computer science, mathematics, electrical/electronic engineering or equivalent
- Knowledge of firmware development environments including compilers, debuggers, emulators and toolchains
- Good understanding of electronics and microcontroller-based embedded systems
Desirable technical skills:
- Experience with Yocto, Docker and microservice architectures
- Any experience of low-power wireless communications, such as Zigbee, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- Microcontroller firmware development
- Software design for RTOS-based architectures
- Consumer product development experience
Essential non-technical skills:
- Demonstrating a high degree of initiative and ability to thrive in a fast-moving environment
- Working well in a close-knit yet geographically dispersed team
- Open and effective communicator
- Collaborative contributor in cross-functional teams, including external development partners
- Freely accepts and welcomes technical ownership, to innovate and champion change
What we offer:
You can look forward to growing your career in a dynamic workplace with significant personal responsibility and flexible working models to ensure the right work/life balance.
A dynamic and personal atmosphere, working across teams
A company culture that encourages performance and cooperation
An attractive compensation package including the comprehensive fringe benefits expected of an international company
We are an employer that is characterized by both the appreciation and equal opportunities of our employees, a recipe for generating success.
Every day, we empower employees to achieve more and experience exciting careers. Find out how our values and unique position make Schneider Electric the employer of choice – apply now online.
Diversity is our heritage and our future. Be a part of it.
At Schneider Electric, Diversity & Inclusion is at the heart of our organisation, it's an integral part of our history, culture and identity. We recognise that embracing diversity unlocks innovation and creativity and fosters collaboration. We want our employees to reflect the diversity of our communities and the customers we serve. As a result, our teams are stronger to drive the company's future.
We are open to a conversation about flexible working.