|Job Type:||Full Time|
The position is for a Senior Transport Designer. based in the south east of England (Central London, or Croydon). You will support a team of Consultants and Project Managers working on a variety of transport planning and engineering projects. You will be responsible for the production of drawings up to concept to detailed design level on a broad range of projects the areas of public transport schemes, public space enhancements, traffic calming, road safety engineering, cycling and parking.
You will need to be fully conversant with the AutoCAD software packages and be also familiar with the Traffic Signs Manual, Traffic Signs Regulations & General Directions, Design Manual for Roads and Bridges, and Manual for Streets.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Transport and development planning related work, providing drawings related to matters such as visibility splays, junction layouts, road signing and lining, swept path analysis, traffic regulation orders and road arrangements
- Independently undertake concept design work and prepare associated drawings and technical details for various transport planning and engineering projects;
- Ability to produce optioneering drawings by developing initial design ideas for new or improved transport infrastructure, e.g. junction improvements, cycling and pedestrian priority schemes etc.
- Assessing infrastructure requirements (i.e. access, car parking, bus stops, cycle parking, etc)
- Providing resource to assist in matters such as on-site observations, feeding findings into the team and resultant proposals
- Undertaking occasional on-site surveys - for example 'parking beat' surveys or 'sample traffic counts' and streetscape audits
- Knowledge of Road Traffic Regulation Act and Highways Act legislation and provisions; and
- Be familiar with, and have the ability to apply 'safe by design' principles when developing designs
- Fully conversant with AutoCAD and associated software packages such as AutoTRACK, Keysigns, Keypost, Keylines; PDS line etc.
- A good working knowledge of the relevant sections of the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges, and Manual for Streets
- A good working knowledge of the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions
- Good attention to detail and the ability to produce accurate, error free work.
- Familiarity with safe design principles and the hierarchy of hazard control measures
- Working knowledge of the requirements for different RIBA stages.
- Capable of quickly and accurately solving complex CAD problems.
- Experience working with GIS: analysing topographic data, transformation of coordinates, importing topographic models, etc.
- Good reporting skills to a range of colleagues and senior managers.
- Good level and style of communication is an essential part of the role as is an organised work manner.
- A personal drive to successfully conclude project specifics.
- Have a strong self-checking ethos to ensure high quality outputs first time
- Relevant BTEC HNC/HND qualification or degree required