|Job Type:||Full Time|
The need to accommodate mandatory working from home due to COVID-19 has led many companies to increase their usage of meeting via Microsoft Teams and Zoom. This usage will likely continue even after the pandemic, as many companies re-evaluate their need for fully in-office versus remote and hybrid work. Microsoft Research wants to initial understand the factors impacting inclusivity and diversity in remote meetings and the impact of any changes in meeting practices that are applied. The research, if applicable, would also characterize the impact of moving from a remote to hybrid working model.
We are seeking a postgraduate student with experience in researching HCI and Psychology to explore concepts such as:
- Best industry practices to increase inclusivity and diversity within remote meetings.
- Best industry practices to increase inclusivity and diversity within Hybrid working environment.
- The use of technology to increase inclusivity and diversity within meetings.
- Characterizing the impact of the meeting practices of different groups within the lab on inclusivity and diversity and capturing good practices and areas for improvements.
- If practicable, working with the lab’s D&I Committee, characterize the impact moving to a hybrid working model on inclusivity and diversity.
The student will develop a baseline of best practices and then, using some internal MS results, explore how these practices may be applied to the Microsoft Cambridge lab as a test environment.
The outcome of the project will be an internal report on the above which includes a set of best practices. There will also be the possibility of publication in a relevant academic outlet (e.g. CHI/CSCW).
- Enrolled in at least a Masters degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Social Science, Business, or Humanities, with a demonstrated emphasis on communication technology research, preferably online meetings.
- Research management: End-to-end planning, conducting, and writing up interview, lab, and/or field studies.
- Methodological skills: Qualitative thematic analysis (e.g. per Grounded Theory), or Design research. AND/OR Quantitative: Survey design and analysis, data science.
- Reading, using concepts from, and synthesising research literature on online meetings, video conferencing.
- Communication: Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and a desire to engage across UK and US timezones.
- Passion for people and understanding the power of Diversity & Inclusion to drive change.
- Use of Atlas.Ti (or similar) for coding of qualitative thematic data (if applicable).
- Conducting HCI/CSCW or internet studies-style research, with a strong preference for experience in video-mediated communication (but this is not mandatory).
- Qualitative or quantitative analysis (as demonstrated though research publications)
- Research management.
- Writing academic research.
The applicant must already be in the UK (but not necessarily Cambridge) at the time the internship starts and remain in the UK for entire duration of the internship. A working visa for a successful applicant will be funded if required, but physical relocation (travel or housing) will not be funded.
Application Requirements and Deadline
- Applications close March 12, 2021.
- Applicants must supply a CV, cover letter explaining your interest in the position, at least one reference, and at least one research paper (preferably first-authored but if not explain contribution in cover letter).
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.