|Location:||Brighton and Hove|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
We are currently looking for an experienced social safeguards consultant to join our international social safeguards team. The role could be based in the UK (Brighton, Glasgow or home based), Italy (Genoa), Colombia (Bogota) or Bulgaria (Sofia).
Our social safeguards team work in an integrated manner with our environmental and engineering teams on infrastructure projects. The focus is primarily in the energy sector, but we also work on water, transport and other types of internationally financed infrastructure projects. We work with our customers and local communities to provide social safeguard protection and, where possible, enhance social and community development benefits in pursuit of sustainable infrastructure projects.
Our clients include project developers, international lenders including multilateral development and private banks, and governments. The work of our team primarily covers:
- social impact assessment and management
- social due diligence, equator principle compliance reviews and construction monitoring
- resettlement and indigenous peoples' development planning
- public consultation, disclosure and stakeholder engagement planning
- labour rights management planning and auditing
- ecosystems services and livelihoods
- gender analysis and management planning
The team works mainly on international projects and international travel is an integral part of this role. Over the next few years team members will be undertaking periodic site visits to Projects in the following regions and countries, amongst others: South Asia (e.g. Pakistan), Central Asia (e.g. Mongolia), North and Francophone Africa (e.g. Egypt, Senegal, Madagascar).
We welcome applications from social scientists with the following experience:
- masters qualification in a discipline related to sociology, social or international development, or a core service area of the team
- experience in carrying out SIAs, due diligence reviews / construction monitoring and resettlement action plans for infrastructure projects
- experience of IFC and other lender safeguards and their role in project finance processes and cycles
- experience of working internationally
- ability to undertake international trips as required
- fluency in English, excellent communication and report writing skills
- fluency or the ability to work in French at site or when writing reports
- experience in the regions/countries mentioned above, and/or ability to work in the languages spoken in those locations
- experience in the power sector
- experience mentoring junior staff
- demonstrable academic or industry expertise in nice service areas such as gender, or other core services provided by the team
We can offer:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Competitive annual leave and the option to purchase additional annual leave
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Life insurance
- Enhanced parental leave
- Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits scheme to suit you, including cycle to work & Interest free season ticket loans etc.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.
More about Mott MacDonald
Mott MacDonald is a £1.2 billion management, engineering and development consultancy with 16,000 staff and a global reach spanning six continents. Our network of 180 principal offices in 140 countries gives us local market insight backed by world class expertise to deliver excellence for every client.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients' businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each person's differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will talk to you about how we can assist.