|Job Type:||Full Time|
Do you like to work on the hardest problems in computing with the biggest user impact? We are looking for a talented Principal Applied Scientist - an individual with a desire to develop solutions to difficult problems, to create, innovate, and define the next generation of enterprise search and productivity tools. If you have a passion for challenges, for excelling in a dynamic, team-oriented environment, for mentoring and growing talent and for inventing novel techniques to power quality services used daily by millions, then you will be interested in us. The MSAI team in the London office is focused on improving key parts of Microsoft software and services, including the Microsoft Office 365 suite, using Machine Learning, IR and NLP techniques. Our efforts leverage the entire breadth and depth of the Office 365 system – a distributed system with hundreds of thousands of computers tuned to empower our users by responding in milliseconds.
- We need strong talent to improve our results. This is a rare opportunity to join an exceptionally strong team where you can see an immediate impact through your contributions.
- Our office is in London and it is a truly multi-cultural environment with people coming from many different European countries, the U.S. and other continents.
- You will work with world class colleagues as well as internationally respected researchers from Microsoft Research (MSR) Cambridge & around the world. Success in this position requires a broad set of experiences and skills, ranging from broad knowledge of IR/ML/DL/NLP techniques, coding skills to the ability to build a collaborative working relationship with other researchers and engineers.
- Tech Lead innovative applied research programs in the area of Natural Language Processing, Information Retrieval, Machine Learning, Graph Learning and Deep Learning that have product impact on millions of O365 users.
- Collaborate closely with Microsoft Research and product teams to create relationships and the next generation of innovation in our products and services
- Communicate internally and externally through publication, presentations, and other mediums (e.g., blogs, press interviews) on research progress, major breakthroughs and product innovation
- Support hiring, mentoring and career development of applied scientists to build inclusive and ambitious applied science teams
- Internalize and champion Microsoft’s culture and values
- A PhD, in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Artificial Intelligence, Statistics or related subjects - candidates with exceptional ML skills and only Master's degree will be considered
- A background in Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Information Retrieval or Recommender Systems
- 8+ years of professional experience developing product level algorithms, with a proven track record of successfully shipping applied research to production
- Excellent problem solving and data analysis skills, with expertise in developing or applying predictive analytics, statistical modelling, data mining, or machine learning algorithms, especially at scale
- Strong people leadership skills, with the ability to understand team dynamics, select and develop team members
- Grounded in a growth mindset, advocate for inclusion and diversity, and strong self-awareness
- Prior work on large scale database or Internet-scale applications
- Publications in top tier applied science conferences such as RecSys, KDD, WWW, SIGIR and EMNLP
- Experience with Graph Neural Networks or Contextual Bandits
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.