|Job Type:||Full Time|
We strive to make Rare an amazing place to work, embracing a culture of respect and building a supportive environment for our developers. Our custom-built Twycross studio is situated in the beautiful English countryside, surrounded by woodland and wildlife, with plenty of room for us to grow. Studio benefits are catered to making life easier for staff, including flexible working, a bonus scheme, an industry-leading pension package, private healthcare, mental health initiatives and free events for employees and their families.
By joining Rare, you'll be joining one of the finest studios in the industry with support from the wider Xbox Game Studios network. We're always on the lookout for exceptional people who can bring their expertise and unique thinking to help make our team even stronger!
Do you dream of crafting memorable pirate adventures? Do you think you can help us navigate pirate waters to deliver a bounty of new experiences for our players?
Our spyglass is on the horizon, scouting the waters for a Senior Game Designer who will play a vital role in developing the continuing adventures of Rare’s shared world game, Sea of Thieves. We’re looking for not only a creative individual with a passion for great gameplay and systems design, but someone who has experience getting hands-on in Unreal Engine and working as part of a creative team. You will be fully accountable for delivering meaningful parts of the game with the responsibility for ensuring the quality execution of your designs, whilst being mindful of the overall creative vision for Sea of Thieves.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a talented team on an established title with ambitious plans for the future. It’s a role for a designer who can not only design new experiences, but someone who is comfortable putting their theories to the test, getting hands on and implementing new gameplay themselves.
You should bring a hoard of talent and creativity and be ready to express your ideas in a way that our team can understand and get excited for.
What we’re looking for:
- Knowledge about Sea of Thieves and its community.
- The ability to demonstrate a deep understanding of the opportunities and challenges inherent to shared world game design.
- The ability to work alongside a team of designers and engineers, owning entire game experiences and how they are implemented.
- The ability to iterate your ideas quickly to identify the best solutions.
- An interest and / or experience with live service games and how a regular calendar of dynamic events and activities provides on-going engagement for players.
- Genuine passion for compelling quest and mechanics design, along with an understanding what makes these elements memorable.
- Experience writing thorough and detailed design specs that allow the team to understand your ideas.
- Experience with working in Unreal in a practical, hands-on role.
- Experience with Unreal Blueprints or other relevant scripting systems.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to convey your ideas and plans to a multi-disciplinary team.
- Someone who is equally comfortable expressing bold ideas and designs on paper, whiteboards or in an editor.
- An appreciation and interest in prototyping and the advantages it brings.
If you’re interested in this special opportunity, send us your C.V so we can learn more about you.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.