|Job Type:||Full Time|
We are seeking an ambitiousPost-DoctoralHCIresearcherwho wants to have real impact on the future ofremote and hybrid work.As a member of theSocially Intelligent Meetingsprogram, you will help advance the state of the art in effective, comfortable, and adaptableremote and hybrid telepresence.
We are specifically seeking candidatesinterested in exploringissues inremote and hybrid meetingsinone or more of the following themes:
- Attention, turn-taking, andengagement
- Ambient work and social support
- Improving organizational valueof meetings
- Flexibleremote and hybrid meeting configurations
- MixedReality/Virtual Reality/CrossRealitycollaboration
You will join a prestigious world-leading industrial research laboratory. The Socially Intelligent Meetings program is a part of themultidisciplinaryFuture of Workprogram, in which social scientists, designers, engineers, and computer scientists researchingmeetings,enterprise knowledge, end-user spreadsheet programming, inclusive workplaces, and software processes.More broadly,Microsoft Research in Cambridgehas a wealth of experience andexpertisein HCI/CSCW, cloud infrastructure, confidential computing, health intelligence, and machine intelligence, and has a strongtrack recordof shipping ground-breaking technologies in Microsoft products including Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Office, Xbox, HoloLens, and Visual Studio.
2 years fixed term contract
The successful candidate will define a research agenda in collaboration with the widerSocially Intelligent Meetings program.This will include researchinthewild and in the lab, takingadvantage of Microsoft's global scale.Youwillundertakean effective program of basic and applied researchthat is geared towardsproductand organizational impact as well as academic thought leadershipandtranslatingyourfindings for multidisciplinaryinternal and externalaudiences.Youwill additionally work with product teamstodevelopexperiences for current and future telepresencefeatures that willimpactproducts and services used worldwide.
- PhD(completed or close to completion) in HCI or a related Social Science field (such as Psychology, Sociology,Communication,Anthropology,or Cognitive Science).
- Experience of research addressingsocial or organizational communication issues in either remote or hybrid video-mediated communication or mixed reality/virtual reality/cross reality collaboration,asdemonstratedbyat least onejournalorconferencepublicationinahigh-qualityvenue(e.g.ACMCHI,CSCW,TOCHI,HCI,IJCHS)andone or morejournalorconferencepublications ingoodvenue/s(ornear-complete drafts).
- Significant experiencein designing and conducting empirical user research.
- Ability to communicate to a multi-disciplinary audience.
- Ability to translate research findings for practical action.
- Ability towork acrossmultiple projectsin parallel.
- Experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Software development skills at least to the level of building research prototypes(experience with Unity andWebRTCare a plus, experience with MachineVision and MachineLearningarealsoa plus). Note thatdevelopment skills are desirable but not essentialfor this position. Non-developers with strong track records in qualitative or quantitative research will be considered on their merits.
- Interest in engaging with Microsoft organizational groups outside of research (e.g.product teams, field teams).
- Participation and activity in the HCI community.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.