|Job Type:||Full Time|
One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, Mott MacDonald is a multisector consultancy providing engineering, management, and development services on projects in 150 countries. With over 16,000 of the best people working on a diverse range of challenges, we're helping our clients deliver sustainable infrastructure and development solutions. We have a collegiate and collaborative culture which values equality and diversity, and we take proactive steps to create an inclusive workplace. Together, we are opening opportunities with connected thinking.
We are seeking a Project Principal level Highways Engineer to work within our Highways business. You will be based within our Newcastle office which is located in the heart of the city, 10mins walk from the station, with easy access to retail and leisure facilities. Travel to other offices and clients is likely to be required from time to time. You will support and contribute to developing the business as well as having management and technical responsibilities. The role will involve working on transport infrastructure schemes, including highways D&B.
The focus of the role is highways infrastructure and you would be expected to have skills in planning, design, maintenance, procurement and delivery. As a project principal (director) you would combine managerial and commercial leadership and technical responsibilities, working with teams throughout the UK and on international projects. Key elements of the role include:
* Project director and team leader responsibility, ensuring delivery to client requirements for standards, programme and budget.
* Responsible for business development in the local regional market.
* driving preparation of bids & proposals
* developing and growing positive customer relationships
* growing the team and expanding skills & capability
* Working with contractors on D&B projects
* Directing discrete design packages and multi-disciplinary design teams of engineers and technicians.
* Preparing, checking and reviewing designs, reports, specifications and other deliverables for highways schemes
* Showing technical leadership and providing technical expertise.
* Presenting technical advice to clients and third parties.
* Controlling task programme and budgets.
* Contributing to bid proposals and submissions
* Motivation and performance of junior staff.
The role will be challenging, demanding, varied and offer fantastic opportunities for skill set and career development.
The successful candidate will ideally be Chartered, or at least working towards being Chartered, with excellent communication, design and delivery skills including leading a team. They will need a comprehensive grasp of highway engineering and be able to demonstrate experience of working on Highways England schemes as well as with contractors on D&B projects.
The successful candidate will have:
* Degree qualified, Chartered engineer (Incorporated Engineer will be considered) with ICE or CIHT.
* A demonstrable track record in highway design
* A demonstrable track record in BD strategy and work winning.
* Ability to assist in the development of the business
* A confident communicator with good verbal and written skills.
* Demonstrable experience of project direction across multi-disciplines.
* Able to interpret client requirements to produce a sound engineering proposal.
* In-depth knowledge of highway design standards (DMRB) and specification (MCHW).
* Experience of working for Highways England, local authorities or passenger transport agencies.
* An appreciation, and preferably experience, of Civil 3D, Open Roads, AutoCad and GIS software.
This is a long-term career appointment with opportunities to develop broad based skills in the transport sector and take responsibility for project delivery.