|Job Type:||Full Time|
The Mott MacDonald Town Planning practice is an exciting place to be - with over 25 full time Town Planners and an excellent forward order book, we are building a practice that can last. The environmental demands in the power, rail, highways, aviation, buildings and water sectors in the UK and beyond need environmental and planning specialists who can think laterally. Our core planning strength is in infrastructure planning, but we are increasing active offering this in conjunction with a wider placemaking and masterplanning service.
We are passionate about providing our clients with sustainable solutions by constantly looking at challenges from a fresh angle. For us to continue maintaining our collaborative client relationships and further grow our environmental capabilities, we are on the hunt for like-minded, forward-thinking individuals to add to our growing UK teams. As a result of this, we are recruiting a Principal/Associate Planner to be the Regional Team leader and grow our team in Bristol and Cardiff.
We are seeking someone who is able to generate respect and authority based on their sound technical knowledge supported by considerable experience. You will contribute to the growth of our people, our planning business and our wider environmental and social practice. You will be adept at finding ways to add value for our customers, engage with technologies and maintain quality. Most importantly you will be helping us to build a lasting and sustainable planning business in the West and beyond.
You will be part of a multidisciplinary team, working closely with other disciplines to ensure planning objectives for projects are delivered successfully, within budget and to programme. You will have the opportunity to develop and grow the team. It is anticipated you will have line management responsibility for 2-3 town planners initially, with this growing over time.
This opportunity is not a one-way street as we will give you an exciting space in which to develop. You will be visible within our business, but also across the sector, raising our profile and yours through internal and external events. Your reputation will grow giving you the opportunity to influence your peers.
We are serious about Town Planning; this opportunity primarily focuses on growing our practice capability in the UK; realising the potential of our people and thereby contributing to our wider business targets and growth opportunities.
The Regional Team Leader is responsible for the day to day management of the team and is required to:
* Make sure sufficient staff with the right skills are available
* Manage day to day assignment of work to staff
* Providing local duty of care support to staff
* Manage technical quality of outputs and supporting/leading project delivery
* Enthuse and motivate team members in relation to the specialist skills offered by the team
* Identify regional business development opportunities, with engage with clients co-ordinated through the Account Leaders.
Given the ongoing pandemic situation, the role will largely involve home-based work. Office-based work can be undertaken if necessary, although our office capacity is limited currently, as a means of ensuring social distancing. A return to office life is anticipated, although we are committed to allowing total flexibility to individuals to balance this with home working in the future.
- Highly competent Town Planner with strong UK experience (and international experience is welcomed).
- A degree in Town Planning or directly related subject (minimum of 2.1 classification). A postgraduate qualification is desirable.
- Chartered Town Planner.
- Excellent knowledge of infrastructure planning, with strong development management experience, including post-consent requirements and processes. Experience in Environmental Impact Assessment, Development Consent Orders, Marine consenting, Transport and Works Act, Hybrid Bills desirable
- Excellent experience in the UK Town Planning consultancy market, with a strong external-facing, client-orientated approach. Knowledge of devolved planning where possible
- Excellent understanding of UK planning legislation and development of planning strategies, stakeholder and engagement processes
- Experience in preparation and writing planning statements, with experience in leading on planning policy and evidence-based studies highly desirable
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Experience within the public sector would be an advantage.
- Proven track record in winning work.
- Experience of people management and willingness to mentor junior staff.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, take the initiative, make robust, defensible decisions and work to tight deadlines to meet client needs.
- Willingness to travel throughout the UK and potentially overseas
- We have a collegiate and collaborative culture which values equality and diversity, and we take proactive steps to create an inclusive workplace.