|Job Type:||Full Time|
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What would I be doing?
The main mission of the AppSec engineers is to help us build secure systems by embedding security in our SDLC. You will achieve this by providing expertise and guidance, working closely with the development teams, central AppSec function, InfoSec team and Security Chapters. We are currently creating a centralised team of AppSec Engineers with different skills sets and levels of experience, providing services to different streams.
As part of the AppSec team you will do the following:
- Working with development teams to provide them with help and guidance on addressing cybersecurity threats
- Conducting threat modelling sessions and security code reviews, and training development teams on how to run them
- Participating in security issue management processes
- Educating and supporting development teams perform security activities
- AppSec tooling and integrations like security issue tracking and SAST tools
As an AppSec engineer you will be involved in supporting teams of software engineers including security practices to their SDLC and maintaining the AppSec tooling integrations.
The roles and responsibilities performed by the AppSec team are:
- Working with teams to provide them with help and guidance on addressing cybersecurity threats
- Conducting threat modelling sessions and training teams on how to run them
- Participating in security issue management processes
- Assisting engineering teams with organising penetration testing by dedicated pentest partners
- Educating and supporting teams perform their security code reviews
- Oversee in-stream use of vulnerability detection and reporting tools
- Auditing, providing teams with feedback and guidance about their security activities (threat modelling, code reviews, SDLC practices)
- Keep updated the SDLC security guidelines
- Research security best practices in other organisations
- Keeping abreast of new vulnerabilities and attack vectors, and associated countermeasures
What we would like to you to have:
- Strong interest in application security
- Demonstrable programming ability with an in-depth understanding of underpinning techniques
- Experience in the full Software Development life-cycle from design to deployment
- Ability to work in a geographically dispersed team
- Strong communication skills and ability to influence engineering behaviours
- Interest in continuous learning
Nice to have but do not feel hesitant to apply if you don’t.
- Experience as an Application Security Engineer
- Knowledge of backend and frontend web application vulnerabilities
- Knowledge of cloud environments
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.