|Job Type:||Full Time|
We are looking for a Director to lead our Roads team in Scotland with a record of delivering complex schemes, winning work, and managing and developing teams. This is a great opportunity to play a senior role in our UK highways business and help shape our future direction in Scotland and the rest of the UK. We are a forward-looking company and the you will lead significant projects, manage teams, and head our interest to innovate, standardise and automate delivery across our project portfolio supported by our practice and excellence networks. You will be responsible for delivering great projects for our clients that align to our purpose of creating positive social outcomes through delivery excellence. You will continue our growth in Scotland in the highways sector through proactively engaging with our clients and delivering our compelling offering. You will also play a key part in securing future opportunities through the bidding process and will proactively contribute to the activities of the Highways Practice as a senior leader within your field.
As the Roads Director, your key responsibilities will be related to team leadership, project delivery, and business development. Your primary role will be to provide clear direction to the roads team in Scotland and, as Project Director for major highways projects, deliver schemes and frameworks primarily in Scotland but on occasion both elsewhere within the UK and internationally. You'll also play a key role in client engagement and leading bids to secure future major project opportunities that will deliver our growth targets whilst delivering the goals of our clients and their customers. In overseeing teams, you'll instigate and develop a culture of collaborative delivery, and continuously improve the efficiency of our projects aligned with Project 13 objectives.
Your responsibilities will involve the following:
- Manage, support, and grow our Roads team in Scotland
- Lead the delivery of profitable projects in line with agreed bidding strategies
- Develop a collaborative delivery approach across project teams, supply chain, partners, and client teams
- Deliver to budget, programme, and quality in all cases
- Enhance client satisfaction
- Undertake Project Reviews to foster learning and continuous improvement
- Guide major project bids securing our right to win, delivering customer needs and a viable commercial strategy
- Proactively engage with key clients, and position for and capture major bid opportunities
As the Roads Director for Scotland, you will be accountable for the health, safety and wellbeing of the Scottish based team and develop the team to provide skills and capabilities to successfully deliver projects. You will be accountable for fostering innovation in the delivery of design and technical excellence while advocating industry leading techniques to improve safety and customer service to deliver the goals of our clients. You'll be accountable for the delivery of project budgets including prompting billing and payments as well as providing monthly reporting on scheme progress. Additionally, you will be held to account for delivering client requirements and customer satisfaction as well as developing relationships with clients to secure opportunities in the Scottish roads market, working in collaboration with Account Leads and Business Development Managers in the region.
As a Highways professional, you have extensive experience taking on Project Director responsibilities delivering cost effective and innovative major roads projects in Scotland and in particular across the Scottish Trunk Road network. You have experience in Scheme development including preliminary design & assessment, public & stakeholder consultation, statutory procedures, public enquiries, and planning enquiries. You possess project, commercial, financial, programme and resource management skills and have both technical knowledge and application of road design standards (The Design Manual for Roads and Bridge, DMRB) and specifications (Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Work, MCHW). Additionally, as a highways professional you have full awareness of health and safety legislation and how it's applied to the design and construction process within the roads sector.
You will also be able to demonstrate the following:
- Degree qualified (BEng/ BSc or equivalent) in Civil Engineering or a related subject
- Chartered engineer (or equivalent) with membership of a professional institution (ICE or equivalent)
- A credible track record of working for, and knowledge of, Transport Scotland
- Experience delivering design & build projects (both tender and detailed design)
- Practical knowledge and understanding of Project 13 - a new approach to delivering high performing infrastructure
- Proven business development, work winning and marketing skills in the Scottish roads market
- Experience managing resource groups and leading project teams
- Ability to develop strong professional relationships with clients and partners
- Demonstrable organisational skills and approach to work in order to manage inputs from various disciplines and professionals
Although not essential, holding a post graduate degree qualification (MEng/MSc or equivalent) in Civil Engineering or similar would be beneficial as would posessing a Project Management qualification such as Prince2 (or equivalent). Additionally, if you are a fellow of a professional institution this would be desirable.