|Job Type:||Full Time|
Role purpose and overview
As a Data Journalist, you’ll work on some of the most interesting and impactful stories of the day, collaborating with key desks such as news, sport, global health, tech and business. Working independently or with developers and designers, you’ll create quality, highly visual data journalism across The Telegraph's print and digital platforms.
With a remit to cover both daily news and longer term pieces, you’ll source, sift and surface data; to find and generate stories; and to develop interactive data projects.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance, and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, working families, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech.
Your wellbeing is paramount, so we have trained over 100 Mental Health First Aiders in the last two years to help support our employees. We’ve also signed the Tech Talent Charter, and are committed to driving greater inclusion and diversity in tech.
- In this role, you will be a key stakeholder in establishing The Telegraph as a leader in visual storytelling and data reporting, attracting new audiences and inspiring existing subscribers.
- You will work independently, as well as collaboratively with subject desks such as news, sport, health, science and the data team, on data-led stories that enhance our digital reputation, from quick analysis pieces to longer-term investigations.
- As part of our visual storytelling team, you’ll work with producers, editors, designers and developers to create innovative interactive infographics, static visualisations and new ways to tell stories based on data.
- You’ll curate, own and grow the set of living / automated visualisations around key data subjects, such the coronavirus pandemic, that will be available for other journalists to use in their stories.
- With data journalism at the heart of our newsroom, you’ll be a key voice at daily news conference and through internal training programmes to ensure the right data-driven stories are done in the best way.
- A portfolio of work using data, numbers and statistics in journalism, including data-led stories and/or graphics. [Essential]
- Demonstrable knowledge of The Telegraph audience and a passion for news and current affairs. [Essential]
- Ability to use data analysis tools to dig into data and find a story. [Desirable]
- Experience using visualisation software to create detailed visualisations. [Desirable]
- Skilled in design best practice and the use of industry-standard software such as the Adobe Suite (especially Illustrator). [Desirable]
- Understanding of different data sourcing techniques, including scraping. [Desirable]
- At least basic knowledge of HTML / CSS. [Desirable]
- Ability to both collaborate and work independently, and work to tight deadlines. [Essential]
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives, and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.