|Job Type:||Full Time|
Become part of the team
As a team, we transform our client’s businesses using a combination of strategic thinking, customer-centric service design, and agile engineering practices. We do this at internet scale – driving innovation, and enriching people’s lives. Our skills and talent enable PA’s purpose of creating positive a human future in a technology driven world.
As part of our Digital team, you’ll work alongside colleagues from across PA – delivering transformative digital solutions to today’s most complex business challenges. Our teams are trusted to deliver and given the space to be awesome. We’re an inclusive community for the curious, generous, pragmatic and committed digital practitioner.
As a Frontend Engineer, your key tasks and responsibilities will be to
- Collaborate closely with our designers to develop in-browser prototypes, living styleguides, pattern libraries and re-usable UI components.
- Work closely with our in-house QA team to marry unit tests with rigorous end-to-end testing to ensure applications function as expected.
- Assist the team with specification workshops, writing acceptance criteria, story estimation, documentation and release planning.
- Adopt and evolve PA’s engineering standards and practices, to ensure we have a shared and common approach to development and delivery.
What we're looking for
- 2+ years experience of developing websites using mobile-first, modular and responsive CSS (e.g. Sass/BEM, CSS Grid etc)
- A good understanding of semantic HTML, WCAG accessibility guidelines, common issues across web and mobile devices, and how to fix them
- An understanding of git, branching and continuous integration strategies
- An understanding of the full web stack including HTTP, REST APIs and performance debugging
- Be a confident problem solver, troubleshooter and debugger in both development and production environments
- Ability to convert client requirements into stories and tasks, help define acceptance criteria and provide estimates for delivery
- A demonstrable eye for good user interface design, typography and user experience
- Experience writing unit and end-to-end tests
- Experience using any modern content management system (including headless mode)
- Understanding of good agile principles using Scrum and Kanban
- Experience of deploying web applications in cloud environments such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Various MVCs, understanding the difference between them, and when one makes more sense than another. E.g. Backbone.js, Angular.js, React.js, Vue.js, Node.js.
- Pushing business logic into browser rather than server.
- Image authoring tools.
- SEO principles and developing compliant applications.
- Private medical insurance
- Interest free season ticket loan
- 25 days annual leave with the opportunity to buy 5 additional days
- Company pension scheme
- Annual performance-based bonus
- Life and Income protection insurance
- Tax efficient benefits (cycle to work, give as you earn, childcare benefits)
- Voluntary benefits (Dental, critical illness, spouse/partner life assurance)
We believe in the power of ingenuity to build a positive human future in a technology-driven world.
As strategies, technologies and innovation collide, we create opportunity from complexity.
Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking and breakthrough use of technologies to progress further, faster. Our clients adapt and transform, and together we achieve enduring results.
An innovation and transformation consultancy, we are over 3,200 specialists in consumer, defence and security, energy and utilities, financial services, government, health and life sciences, manufacturing, and transport. Our people are strategists, innovators, designers, consultants, digital experts, scientists, engineers and technologists. We operate globally from offices across the UK, US, Europe, and the Nordics.
Bringing Ingenuity to Life.
PA is committed to building an inclusive and supportive culture where diversity thrives, and all of our people can excel. We believe that greater diversity stimulates innovation, enabling us to fulfil our purpose of ‘Bringing Ingenuity to Life’, supporting the growth of our people, and delivering more enduring results for our clients.
We only recruit, promote and reward our people based on their contribution, without regard to gender, race, disability, religion, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status.
We welcome international applications, but we are unable to offer sponsorship for work permits, so you will need to have the full right to live and work in the UK. Unfortunately, your application will be automatically rejected if you do not have these rights.