|Job Type:||Full Time|
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What would I be doing?
We’re looking for software engineers who can contribute to the design, build and analysis of Ocado’s Simulation Models and candidate algorithms, who are motivated by the impact their work will have on many parts of a global business, and will fully embrace a collaborative, lateral-thinking, creative and cutting-edge development environment.
We’re keen to find individuals happy to wear a number of different hats:
- Inventor: Being part of the creative process that drives new concepts and innovations.
- Developer: Creating simulations of real-world systems, and building prototypes of the control algorithms that manage such systems.
- Analyst: Generating, parsing, understanding & drilling into large datasets to discover insight that will inform business decisions and system design.
- Researcher: Investigating how to optimise algorithms & business processes to improve the efficiency and profitability of the world’s largest purely online grocery retailer.
In short, there’s scope to be seriously challenged, to make a significant impact upon OSP, and to be a part of a dynamic team, department and business.
What does the team do
The Simulation Algorithm Development Projects Team have been providing Simulation services to other streams. Historically, they built the cutting edge Supply Chain Simulation that has now moved to LSC, and are now building an equally cutting edge and strategically important Instore Fulfilment Simulation.
This is a standard Java software engineer role in the projects team to work on these simulation projects
What we are looking for:
- BSc in Computer Science or a numerate degree
- Solid skills in both Java (ideally Java 8+) and Python (e.g. Pandas)
- Strong analytical and statistical skills
- Experience of working on significant-scale open-ended uncertain research-type projects and delivering high-value from such projects - either in commercial or academic environments.
- An approach that is comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty in project specification.
- Knowledge of Maven and GitLab/GitLab CI
- Experience and interest in algorithmic optimisation techniques
- An open-minded approach to engaging with users of the Simulation outside of the team and within the wider business
This would make you stand out from the crowd:
- Python numpy, scipy, scikit-learn experience.
- Working with Jupyter notebooks
- A relevant MSc or PhD
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.