About the role:
Abcam is looking for a Data Engineer to join Abcam’s growing Data Engineering team. The Data Engineer will be responsible for maintaining and enhancing our data warehouse and Tableau reporting, as well supporting various projects such as data migrations and the development of our AWS data platform and data lake.
About Data Engineering:
The Data Engineering team is responsible for extracting, transforming and logically organising and storing data, and providing Data Warehousing and Big Data capabilities to enable the creation and delivery of Analytics and AI/ML products.
Roles & responsibilities:
- You will create, implement and maintain data flows to connect operational systems, data for analytics and business intelligence (BI) systems.
- You will build and maintain data sources for data visualisation tools and educate and support business users to self-service their reporting needs.
- You will monitor services, assist with issue resolution, conduct root cause analysis and provide an appropriate level of communication to users who may be affected by general issues or outages.
- You will write ETL scripts and code to make sure the ETL process performs optimally
- You will write complex procedures and functions, dynamic and procedural SQL.
- You will be able to independently design and update 3NF and Star Schema warehouses.
- You will work closely with stakeholders including Data Scientists, Data Analysts, Architects, Infrastructure Engineers, Product Managers and Business Analysts.
- You will work closely with non-technical business stakeholders and communicate complex technical concepts in a way they can understand.
- You will keep abreast of developments in the world of Data Engineering and make recommendations about new technologies and ways of working.
Essential skills: SQL, Data Warehouse, Oracle, ODI, ETL, Git, Python, Tableau
Desirable skills: AWS cloud services, Mulesoft, Spark, APEX
- You will have experience in designing and building Data Warehouses, and using ETL tools.
- You will preferably have worked with Oracle ODI before.
- You will be skilled in SQL. Experience of Oracle SQL would be beneficial.
- You will build strong relationships with stakeholders including Data Scientists, Data Analysts, Architects, Infrastructure Engineers, Product Managers and Business Analysts.
- You will be a team player who supports other team members as necessary to ensure success.
- You will be experienced in using Git and CI/CD tools for version control and code releases.
- You will have experience in performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Experience implementing Big Data solutions using AWS Data platform and AWS Data Services would be beneficial.
- Some background in life science would be beneficial, but is not essential.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (which includes shares for eligible employees), a culture focussed on wellbeing and opportunities for growth.