|Job Type:||Full Time|
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
Our Handling Robotics teams are at the cutting-edge of our technology engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke electrical and mechanical development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within Handling Robotics sits our Dispatch & Return teams, who oversee the development of product handling systems. We are searching for an accomplished Manufacturing Development Engineer who will play a key part in ensuring Ocado’s products are designed for manufacture and will be responsible for the process and procedures needed to transition products into full manufacture.
What will you be doing?.
The roles and responsibilities include:
- Design of highly reliable mechanical components and subsystems taking into account manufacturability, cost, weight etc;
- Use of analytical tools to drive and substantiate design decisions;
- Selecting, working with and managing manufacturers and suppliers;
- Ensuring schedules are met and both project and technical risks are mitigated; ● Accountable for the quality and timely delivery of own work, ensuring that designs achieve product requirements.
- Accountable for quality and timely delivery of your own work
- Ensure that the design achieves the Production Engineering BOM cost as stated in the Product Requirements.
What we are looking for
- Familiar with product handling techniques.
- Demonstrable track record of designing for a wide range of production processes including CNC machining and sheet metal fabrication.
- Provide where necessary supporting calculations. ● Experience of delivering work packages on time and within budget constraints; ●
- Familiar with risk identification and activities to de-risk designs through analysis and testing; ● Expert experience in using CAD software including substantial experience draughting to BS8888 with the use of GD&T;
- Able to generate technical documentation.
- The ability to work within a team on multiple projects, to prioritise tasks and to manage own time;
- Self-motivated, team player, flexible and willing to learn;
- Used to working in a fast paced, changing, professional environment;
- A good Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent Mechanical Engineering qualification with experience;
- Willing to travel both in the UK and abroad to meet manufacturers and attend meetings.
This would make you stand out from the crowd
- Experienced in using SolidWorks and PDM software;
- Comfortable presenting ideas, convincing others and making presentations to a group audience. ● Practical FEA experience.
- Creation of Operating or Maintenance manuals.
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.