|Job Type:||Full Time|
As JP Morgan Chase expands its investment in its hybrid cloud strategy, Gaia, JP Morgan’s private cloud offering, is emerging as one of four strategic platforms for the firm (alongside public cloud offerings from Amazon, Google and Microsoft). Delivering a coherent platform experience across the multitude of enterprise services in JPMC is a fascinating challenge for those with deep technical skills, a desire for impact and a passion for delivery.
As a data architect in the Platform Services organization, you will play a critical role in the evolution of J.P. Morgan's cloud platform. Working as part of the Platform Runtimes or Data Services teams you will be the data architect for all aspects of these critical cloud components. Reporting directly in to the product organization and with a dotted reporting line to the GaiaFS Data Architect, you will lead federated groups to ensure API’s, events, metrics, logs and all data usage on the cloud platform is designed, validated and implemented in line with state of the art practices with respect to logical data modeling, API design, event driven architecture and metadata management.
As the Gaia Private Cloud becomes the dominant mechanism for obtaining compute, storage, network and middleware services, data is no longer the means by which such resources are tracked and managed, rather it is the means by which that infrastructure is defined and operated. Such a responsibility demands the highest caliber data architects to guide this transformation.
- Owning the strategy for how Gaia product developers create, distribute and consume data.
- Lead domain driven design of the Product Capabilities in line with GTI’s 2025 strategy, resource oriented architecture, JRN naming system and API governance models.
- Actively develop solutions to automate data validation, reducing the manual burden of inspection.
- Innovating solutions to enable faster and higher quality adoption of the Gaia modeling practices.
- Implementing failing automated acceptance tests that demonstrate data and API conformance in products and demonstrate data-driven visibility in to progress against those priority requirements.
- Delivering, in conjunction with the broader GTI and GT data management teams, tech-primers and other developer collateral to bridge gaps in developer experience with data architecture.
- Coaching the development community, acting as the primary information architecture advocate and building a network of expert model ers able to contribute to the evolution of the platform.
- Acting as the voice of the platform developer, engaging deeply and broadly with the Platform Services and GTI Architecture teams to improve the consumability of data standards and practices.
- Communicate broadly, both internally and externally, through conferences, training sessions, dojos and online to build the community and consolidate that voice of the developer.
- Defining patterns, blueprints and supporting software to act as accelerators for the adoption of private cloud and application modernization more broadly. In particular, driving provably more resilient, secure and cost effective architectures through data architecture.
- Establishing a data-first approach to continuous product improvement. Leveraging the Gaia Telemetry Fabric and data analytics platforms to drive evidence-based prioritization of developer experience feature requirements.
The Gaia private cloud spans application runtimes (Kubernetes, Cloud Foundry, etc), compute grids, Hadoop runtimes, data services (Kafka, Cassandra, Oracle, MariaDB, Cockroach, etc), Identity and Access Management Services, infrastructure as code within platform provisioning, telemetry, control plane solutions and a myriad of related services and capabilities. Making these services consumable by 40, 000 engineers demands a senior data architect with exceptional breadth of knowledge but also the hands on experience to be credible with the engineering community.
The successful candidate will likely have:
- BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- 5+ years of programming experience in one or more of the following: Java, Python, Go
- 5+ years of data modeling and information architecture experience
- Specific experience in;
- Logical and physical data modelling in UML (MagicDraw, Erwin, etc)
- Platform Frameworks - Cloud Foundry, Kubernetes, etc
- Domain Driven Design\
- API Design including Rest/Resource Oriented Architectures
- Event Driven Architectures
- JSON schema
- Policy design, ideally with Open Policy Agent architecture.
- CI / CD pipelines and tool sets.
- Testing - xUnit, FitNesse, Cucumber
- Ideally, experience designing and developing data architectures for production-grade cloud solutions in Cloud ecosystems such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud Platform.
- A systems thinker with hands-on experience with Lean and Agile practices such as Scrum and Kanban.
- Self-motivated, great communication skills and team player.
- Able to work through influence, building communities of followers and building great software through collaboration and contribution.