|Job Type:||Full Time|
We have an exciting opportunity for a User Experience/Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) Research intern to work with us at Microsoft Research Cambridgeas part of theFuture of Workteam.This role is part of apartnership with the Microsoft SharePointproduct teamand offers the opportunity to work on work on one of the most recognizable and broadly used technology brands in the world.
As part ofProject Cortex,weaim to develop an enterprise knowledge base that automatically extracts business knowledge through unsupervised machine learning (ML). Thissystemwill enable compelling new user experiences by making knowledge available to workers as and when they need it.In a system like thisit is critical that workerscancontribute and shape knowledge themselves, guiding the ML.Therefore, we are interested in exploring how toallowworkers to share their knowledge with their colleagues and wider organisation through the knowledge base. We are also exploring how we can tailorthe technologytoorganisations withdiverse cultures. Companies can bemore or lessopenwhenit comes toencouraging the sharing of knowledgebetween employees, for example.
We have a range of early-stage design concepts and systems that we have developed, and we need an enthusiastic and collaborative applicant who can help us understand if and how they add value to work, and howthey should evolve.This applicant shouldbring a human-centred perspective tothe research,and have experience that allows them toworkas part ofa highly multi-disciplinary team that includes ML experts, social scientists, designers, engineers, and program managers based both in Cambridge and Seattle.They should be able to usequalitative methods—including interviews and formal/informal concept testing—in ordertohelp uncover and refine approaches for designing and engineering knowledge systems that add real value to individuals and teams in the workplace.
- Workin a multi-disciplinary team helping evaluate anditerateondesign and engineeringconcepts
- Workin partnership with both Microsoft Research and a Microsoft productgroup
- Translate findings into practical design insights
- Deploy prototype technologies and evaluate their impact on social practice
- Generate insights that fuel ideation
- Write and present your findings in technical documents orpapers
- Undertaking amaster’s orPhD in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI),Interaction Design,Computer-Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW), or a related social science field (e.g.Psychology, Sociology).
- Experience or interest working in the Future of Work domain
- Experience with planning and conducting tests of design concepts, as well as analysing and communicating the results
- Experience in a variety of design, wire-framing, and prototyping tools
- Experience working collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Experience with participant recruitment
- Demonstrable fluency in both spoken and written English
- Availability to start before the end of June 2021
- The ability to re-locate to the UK.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.