|Job Type:||Full Time|
12 month fixed term contract
FirstGroup operates bus, rail, school bus and coach services in the UK and North America. The group employs over 100,000 people and operates 2 billion passenger journeys annually. It operates as 5 divisions – Student, Transit and Greyhound in North America, and Bus and Rail in the UK.
FirstGroup plc welcomes applications from a diverse range of candidates regardless of background, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. We aspire to be a diverse and inclusive organisation because we believe that diversity brings benefits for our customers, communities and our people. Valuing our differences and drawing on our collective knowledge and experience helps us develop new services, open up new markets and broaden our customer base.
About the role
An opportunity has arisen for an assistant accountant to join the Group Finance team as it works with and supports the divisions and business in providing insightful analysis and commentary to management across the group. This role is an excellent opportunity for a part qualified accountant to broaden and deepen their skills and experience in financial analysis, control processes, management accounting, compilation of reports and a range of project work as you move towards your professional qualification.
Reporting to the Group Financial Analyst, you can expect to:
- Prepare financial information and analysis that is used in the preparation of reports, budgets, forecasts and presentations to senior management, Audit Committee papers, and Board papers
- Assist other Finance colleagues in the periodic process of the production of management reports and papers (routine and non-routine information, financial and non-financial metrics and KPIs)
- Contribute to improving the quality, accuracy and timeliness of cashflow analysis and forecasting provided to the Executive team
- Support budget holders, business units and Executive management by performing financial analysis, review and follow up on income and expenditure as appropriate.
- Support the year end and half-year end audit process, including preparation of audit schedules and Analyst Pack support schedules
- Contribute to projects, which support and promote the improvement of our control, reporting and business processes across the Group
- Develop your experience in preparing and analysing financial performance, capex or investment proposals alongside the supporting financial metrics and KPIs.
You will be a team-player with a can-do attitude, have the ability to engage with non-finance colleagues, and will be comfortable working in a fluid and dynamic environment.
Other skills, experience and attributes:
- Part qualified CIMA, ACA, ACCA (or equivalent) accountant, working towards qualification
- Experienced in extracting, manipulating and presenting data in Excel; and the confidence to question, follow up queries, and develop these skills to a more advanced level
- Strong PowerPoint skills for presenting financial analysis and non-financial information
- A self-starter with the ability to work unaided and to build working relationships with divisional and group staff
- Interested in developing your commercial acumen
- Strong integrity and ethics
This role is ideal for a person with the ability, enthusiasm and personal attributes to work and deliver quality analysis, and provides the opportunity to develop their skills in a wide range of project and other commercial orientated work.
What you'll get in return
Minimum of 10% contribution to your Pension (5% employer and 5% employee)
25 days Holiday plus National Bank Holidays
Travel Offers for Bus and Rail*
Free Bus Travel on your local FirstGroup Operated Network
Childcare Vouchers - free from Tax & National Insurance
Payroll Giving – donate directly from your pay to a Charity of your Choice
Shopping Discounts including discounts and cashback on electrical goods, your weekly shop, holidays, cinema trips, car insurance, upgrading your mobile and lots more
All employee Share Schemes*
Save as You Earn - gives you the opportunity to save a regular amount each month for three years. At the end of the savings period, you can use your savings to buy shares at a discounted price set at the start of the Scheme, or take your savings as cash.
Buy as You Earn - allows you to buy shares each month, with 2 free ‘matching' shares for each 3 shares you buy. You can vary the amount you save, or stop it at any time. You need to participate in the scheme for at least 3 years in order to receive the matching shares.
Employee Assistance Helpline – free, confidential employee support service provided by an independent provider
*after 6 months of employment