|Job Type:||Full Time|
LocationMilton Keynes, GB
About Network Rail
We at Network Rail are dedicated to becoming one of Britain's best employers and believe this starts with placing the candidate at the heart of everything we do.
We're continuing to build a more diverse and inclusive organisation which is representative of the passengers we serve. To do this, it is essential we become a more open, diverse and inclusive organisation, harnessing the skills and expertise of all our people and attracting the best talent to help us have a safe, accessible railway for everyone. To learn more about how Diversity and Inclusion is important to Network Rail please click here.
We believe that investing in our people is one of the most effective ways of improving the safety, reliability and efficiency of the railway. To learn about the benefits we offer please click here.
Group Taxation is a team within Finance.Our diverse and high-achieving team is responsible for ensuring we secure appropriate funding and get the best possible value for the money we spend, driving forward our continuing mission to transform the UK's rail network into a world-class infrastructure. Heading up a team of 5 financial professionals, you will lead our Group Taxation function in supporting the business, delivering the group tax strategy, managing tax risks and achieving specific objectives.
For more information about Network Rail please click here
Lead the Group Taxation team in the development, maintenance and monitoring of the financial control framework with regard to all Network Rail's tax requirements including delivering accurate returns to HMRC and ensuring the Group meets all statutory deadlines.
About the role (External)
Vacancy Type: Full-time
Duration: Permanent, this role is a full-time opportunity, but flexible working patterns may be considered.
Location: This role is based at The Quadrant, Milton Keynes. To be considered for this role, candidates are required to live within 90 minutes of The Quadrant Milton Keynes.
Band 2C / Salary £78,575 - £88,397 per annum.
Network Rail adheres to a structured pay framework, the salary offered will be within the pay range advertised.
Who are we looking for?
To continue to operate at the standard that places us "amongst the best Accounting, Tax and Finance Discipline leadership team" in the public sector we are seeking a top-class Group Taxation specialist.It's an exciting place to work as we support a business that recently has been responsible for about an eighth of all UK construction- so when it comes to recruitment we set the bar high.
You will lead on all taxation matters across a multiple £billion business and whilst there are few typical days this role offers the chance to bring leadership skills and technical acumen to bear to make sure our business makes the best decisions.
If you can show exemplary leadership; make sense of the complex UK tax code; advise and lead a team of seasoned professionals; not afraid to roll up your sleeves when necessary (to cover absences and peak workflow) but are equally comfortable advising Board members through to Project Managers, this could be the perfect role for you.
Amongst other things you will
- Implement the tax strategy and provide technical expert counsel to Excom Board members on all tax aspects including legislative changes and tax risk.You will also be required to secure agreement of board to the general framework for the detailed strategy providing updates on performance of the strategy and any risks arising
- Lead and deliver Network Rail's compliance with all statutory tax requirements thereby preventing the business being exposed to penalties, charges and prosecutions
- Own the relationship with HMRC which requires you to lead negotiations and represent Network Rail on all aspects of taxation to provide the most beneficial tax position for the business and its employees, optimising recovery of tax and minimising penalties.This includes stakeholder and negotiations management for other bodies such as the Department for Transport (DfT) and HM Treasury as well as any other relevant body.
The full Job Description is attached to this vacancy.
What essential skills and experience are we looking for?
- Full accounting qualification from CIMA or a CCAB (Central Council of Accounting Bodies) body
- Hold a professional tax qualification (ATII, ATT) or have extensive successful post qualification experience in a senior tax role
- Experience working in a large organisation having had exposure to all aspects of International Accounting Standards and generally accepted accounting principles
Comprehensive knowledge of all UK tax legislation, in particular that relating to corporation tax, capital gains tax, value added tax and all elements of employment taxes
Extensive successful experience of leading a tax department with a commercial approach in a large FTSE sized entity
Strong internal and external stakeholder management skills with proven experience in successfully managing a relationship with HMRC or any other relevant external regulatory body.
Demonstrable excellent negotiating & influencing skills with both internal and external stakeholders
Proven ability to successfully manage, develop and motivate a team of technical specialist professionals and is able to demonstrate strong leadership capabilities
Strong commercial and proactive approach
Works well under pressure, with the ability to prioritise and handle competing demands.
How to apply (External)
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage people to work flexibly. We welcome applications from everyone. Click here for more information.
Safe behaviour is a requirement of working for Network Rail.Applicants should be able to demonstrate their awareness of our Safety Vision
We are a Disability Confident Leader employer!
All offers of employment are conditional upon satisfactory completion of pre-employment checks. Click here for more information
What can we offer you in return?
We have a range of benefits including:
28 days annual leave entitlement, plus Bank Holidays and five volunteer days
- My Benefits - our discounted online shopping site A range of discounted offers including cycle to work, healthcare club discounted membership and other benefits
- Subsidies of up to 75% on rail and underground season tickets
- A range of pension schemes
- Two weeks paid reserve leave for our Armed Forces community
Training, development and employee assistance programme available.
Closing date: 26 January 2021. Late applications will not be accepted. On occasions, we may need to close the advert early based upon application volumes.
Interviews will be held w/c 25 January and 01 February.