|Job Type:||Full Time|
The role is in the Legal Department and involves working closely with the respective business representatives and with other corporate functions, globally.
The lawyer will work closely with the Securities Services Business, initially with a specific focus on the Custody Business (“Business”) on product development, development of legal policies and controls, day-to-day business support, and complex new business transactions. The position entails extensive, independent contact with, and support of, senior business personnel within such business and significant opportunity for career development.
This position is located in London.
- Provision of legal guidance and expertise to the Business throughout Europe, specifically although not limited to Ireland, Luxembourg and the UK, including general advice and negotiation and drafting of transaction documentation and contracts.
- Providing day-to-day legal advice and guidance in relation to the flow business and generally, ad hoc legal advice, as required.
- Working with the Business and the respective industry groups to assess and implement new regulatory requirements.
- Assessing legal risk, advising on such risk and reviewing policies and procedures and processing changes to mitigate risk.
- Attendance at internal and external meetings.
- Instructing and liaising with external counsel, as required.
- Advising the Business on key legal/regulatory issues.
- Participation in Projects and the development of operational processes which have a legal impact.
- Assisting the Business to implement new initiatives.
- Liaising with Business representatives and legal/compliance colleagues and other control functions (e.g. credit, tax etc) in EMEA and globally (US and Asia).
We are looking for a highly motivated lawyer with the ability to work semi-supervised supporting a fast-paced and dynamic business who will work closely with the Business, liaising with other corporate functions within J.P. Morgan as required. The role is based in the Legal Department and involves a proportionate amount of time being spent with the Business on the trading floor.
- English qualified with post qualification experience with a City law firm or equivalent experience as lawyer obtained in private practice or in-house.
- Strong background in Securities Services business which includes custody.
- Ability to understand the business needs and partner with the business to create solutions.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Pragmatic with excellent business sense.
- Strong understanding of the interplay between legal and business risk.
- Ability to interact effectively with clients.
- Strong negotiation and drafting skills.
- Ability to work independently, manage complex projects and multitask successfully in fast-paced and complex business environment; and
- Background in providing legal services to operational intensive businesses is preferred.