|Job Type:||Full Time|
At GoCardless, we’re passionate about payments. Our vision is to provide businesses with the best way to collect recurring payments, wherever they and their customers are in the world.
Today, we help over 55,000 businesses take the pain out of getting paid, so they can focus on what they do best. And through our partnerships with over 200 software providers such as Xero, Zuora, Salesforce and Quickbooks, more and more businesses are benefiting from our unique global payments platform every day. We process $15bn of payments a year across more than 30 countries, powering recurring payments for businesses worldwide, from multinational corporations to small businesses.
We’re headquartered in the UK, and backed by some of the world’s leading investors including Google Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, Balderton Capital, Accel Partners and Notion Capital. Over 400 employees worldwide have decided to develop their careers with us. We’ve built a friendly, collaborative culture where we hire and develop people who share our desire to do work we can be proud of. We value learning and feedback, and support colleagues to develop in their role and more broadly in their career.
Intro to the team
The mission of the Business Operations and Strategy team is to help GoCardless make high-quality decisions and to translate these decisions into action.
As a team, our work tends to be project-based and wide-ranging. Recent priorities have included designing and implementing a new go-to-market org structure, defining our 3-year strategy, and launching a new pricing model for our merchants (among many other projects). In each case, the team has owned the analysis and then worked closely with key stakeholders (CEO & Management) to form recommendations as well as to kick off and oversee the delivery cross-functionally.
As a Strategy & Business Operations Associate, you will report into the Business Operations and Strategy Manager, working closely with the CEO, COO, and other members of the Exec team to drive some of GoCardless’ most critical decisions and deliver strategic initiatives in a fast and pragmatic way.
In this role you will work on both Special Projects and Organisational Transformation. Special Projects will be focused on leading high-impact cross-functional projects that are by essence unpredictable. Organisational transformation will be focused on building organisational muscle and capabilities to ensure best-in-class execution against our strategy.
On a day-to-day basis, the activities can include:
- On the Special Projects side
- Working with the Exec team and senior leaders across the business to enable key decisions on high impact projects
- Driving the operational problem solving of high-impact issues that can arise in the business
- Working with all teams across the business to drive the execution of large projects, driving both content and structure
- Evolving the cross-functional project management at GoCardless and improving communication and collaboration between teams across the organisation at large
Previous projects on this have been (i) ensuring we can charge VAT to our merchants following a change in HMRC guidance and minimising the cost impact to GC and our merchants, (ii) reducing our financial exposure to merchants following covid impact avoiding millions of potential loss in case of merchant default.
- On the Organisational Transformation side:
- Partnering with the business to set up a new function or team in the business that didn’t previously exist
- Working with the Exec team an senior leaders across the business to adapt the existing structure of teams to a new strategy or a new scale of activity
- Incubating new capabilities in the team to then set that capability up in the relevant function in the business
- Working with all teams on the ground to identify any new capabilities that need to be added to the GC team
Previous projects on this have been (i) building out the Account Management function at GoCardless to take care of our existing merchant base, (ii) making changes to our customer, sales and marketing organisations to align with our new go-to-market strategy and (iii) building out the Recruiting team to ensure we can scale the business as quickly as we need to.
- Experience at a top-tier consulting firm / investment bank, or relevant operational experience
- Experience delivering strategic or transformational programmes
- Proven ability to manage multiple stakeholders across various geographies, including senior stakeholders
- Outstanding track record of professional and academic achievement
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Structured thinker with ability to frame and solve unstructured problems
- Strong appetite for getting things done
- Strong verbal and written communication
- Strong team player
Life at GoCardless
Diversity is hugely important to us and we welcome applications from those with disabilities and from under-represented backgrounds. Throughout our hiring and onboarding process we make any reasonable adjustments necessary to create a level playing field and continually look at how we can improve in this area. We also have active ‘employee resource groups’ (such a BEAM and Rainbow) that are supported and sponsored by members of our Exec team; they work to engage and inspire our employees on diversity & inclusion topics throughout the year.
We offer flexible working hours and remote working arrangements, enhanced parental leave and pension packages. You’ll also receive equity, because we believe having this ‘buy in’ is a vital part of building a successful business where everybody - regardless of their role - can make a valuable contribution.
The COVID-19 pandemic has seen everybody at GoCardless shift to remote working and this is something we’ll continue to do into 2021. We continually review this approach in conjunction with the changing restrictions in each of our locations; additionally we offer support to maintain wellbeing and comfort, including subsidised home office equipment, workstation assessments and a range of remote social activities you can dip in and out of whenever you fancy.