|Job Type:||Full Time|
Department NameRoute Services
About Network Rail
Our ambition to be responsive to passengers and freight users, drives us every day and we're empowered to do the right thing for those who use the rail network. We actively challenge unsafe practices and take responsibility for addressing risks, resolving issues and protecting safety and wellbeing.
We're passionate about great service and we ask ourselves, what can we do to put our passengers and freight users at the centre of everything we do? With this in mind, we pull together as one industry because we care about people and teamwork is key. For more information about Network Rail click here.
Route Services is a division of Network Rail, formed to provide our routes with services and supplies that they need in order to maintain and deliver a better railway for a better Britain. We work with our customers to provide them with the safest, most cost-efficient and effective services enabling them to benefit from economies of scale and optimised national resources.
This opportunity sits in Supply Chain Operations (SCO), a division of Route Services that procures safe, sustainable, products and services that are in turn used to improve and enhance the rail infrastructure across Britain. SCO aims to deliver excellent value and service to our customers, helping the rail industry to work together to deliver a more cost-effective railway.
Our extensive supply chain network plays a crucial role in helping to run a safe and efficient railway.
Every year we:
- Buy and deliver 2,000km of rail and 2.5 million tonnes of ballast.
- Operate 1,200 rail vehicles.
Behind the scenes we:
- Process £7,000,000,000 of payments.
- Handle over 23,000 IT helpdesk calls.
- Mechanical and electrical locking fitters maintain 468 signal boxes and 387 ground frames.
- Operational property helpdesk process over 200,000 calls.
As an Operative, you will complete initial visual inspections and measurements of Switch & Crossings completing computer and paperwork records for those retained for refurbishment, any that are deemed unsuitable for refurbishment will be sent for scrap into MHD.
Support Technicians within their role where required (ie as ground staff or processing orders etc)
You will assist in completing orders for dispatch by sorting and fitting baseplates/slides, writing details on components, strapping of pallets, loading/unloading of lorries. As part of this role, you will drive Combi lift Forklifts, use Overhead Cranes and operate a Hydraulic press (training for these will be provided).
About the role (External)
- You will carry out work safely and in line with the safe systems of work procedures, method statements or other instructions.
- You undertake work and associated duties in areas that you all fully trained and competent within.
- You can undertake work activities as directed, in an efficient and safe manner and in accordance with all relevant standards.
- You check that vehicles, plant, tools, equipment and materials under your control are fit for use and are in use, stored and disposed of correctly.
- You contribute to your own development.
- You consistently follow all company policies and procedures.
Job Skills, Experience & Qualifications…
- You will hold (or be working towards) an NVQ 1 (or equivalent) in a relevant subject.
- Able to work as part of team.
- Able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Hold and retain competencies relevant to this post, required by the business need.
- Able and willing to drive vehicles as required by business need.
How to apply (External)
Closing date: 22nd January 2021. Late applications will not be accepted.
We retain the right to close the advert before the listed closing date based on application volumes.
12 month Fixed term opportunity.
Please clearly show in your application how your skills and experience match the requirements of this role.
Keeping people safe on the railway is at the heart of everything we do, safe behaviour is therefore a requirement of working for Network Rail.Applicants should demonstrate their personal commitment to safety in their application.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Click here for more information
Want to find out about what benefits we offer? click here
All offers of employment are conditional upon satisfactory completion of pre-employment checks. Click here for more information
Our colleagues are encouraged to work flexibly as we know that busy lives don't always fit around a traditional working pattern, if you need flexibility to complete your role (eg home working, part time, job share, compressed hours work pattern etc.), just let us know and we will do our upmost to help you to invest in your career with us while balancing other aspects of your life.
*Please note we have adapted our recruitment processes in line with Government advice during COVID-19. Interviews will take place 'virtually' over video and for some office-based roles the successful candidate may need to work from home initially using their own personal device. This guidance is subject to change, we will update you accordingly. We appreciate your understanding.