|Job Type:||Full Time|
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
About our team
Within Retrieval Robotics sits the Grid Development function, which is responsible for the design, testing and manufacture of our automated products relating to our Grid and its storage and safety functionality. Our Mechanical Engineering team is looking for an accomplished Mechanical Design Engineer, who will be responsible for the engineering changes of production Grids and associated products. You may be involved at any stage from translating requirements, through concept generation, detail design, manufacturer support to design updates and enhancements.
If you like challenges and you want to work in a fast paced, exciting company on innovative solutions to the problems that have never been solved, then imagine yourself in this role.
How you will spend your days
- You will be reporting progress and completion status to the Product Manager for the stream.
- Being responsible for change Management for a range of products.
- Planning of change incorporation into existing design data.
- Analysis of Change Impact.
- Transforming existing design documentation, including 3D CAD models, 2D Drawings and BOMs.
- Improving related meta-data within a PDM or PLM environment.
- Running Change Control Board meetings including generation of agenda, minutes & approval records.
- Reporting on change process KPI.
- Mentoring and line management duties
We'd like to talk to you if you have
- A proven track record of the Design Change process and change management tools.
- Ability to draught to BS8888 (including GD&T) using Solidworks
- Practical experience and thorough knowledge of BS 8888 and associated standards.
- Experience of delivering work packages to time and budget constraints.
- Disciplined in applying defined processes and standards.
- Proficient in documentation version control, design review and sign off processes.
- Used to working in a fast paced, changing environment.
- A relevant Engineering Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
Bonus points if you also have
- Draughting and modelling in Solidworks
- Experience in data management using Solidworks PDM
- Confident presentation skills
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.