|Job Type:||Full Time|
“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are currently recruiting for newly created roles within the Data Science team, as Head of Data Science you will head up the data science work within the stream. Your role will be responsible for the strategy and delivery of data science within their stream. You will work closely with engineering and product to make sure that data science delivers the most amount of value possible.
Your Key Responsibilities:
Your main responsibilities as Head of Data Science is to make sure we take the best possible advantage of data science within a stream and that the data science team has a challenging and rewarding role to play.
You will be responsible for:
- Looking after the data science work within a stream/department
- Focus on evangelising data and data science thinking and on supporting product in understanding where the biggest opportunities are
- Develops a ML strategy (taking into account product roadmaps and engineering needs) for the stream, in particular to spot opportunities for the application of data science / operations research
- Ensures consistent approaches to Data Science / Operations Research in stream and that duplication is reduced
- Champions the streams Data Science needs (e.g. around tooling or resourcing) to the horizontal structures
- Ensures that our commitments to old platforms are fulfilled
- Line manages the data science team leads
We would like to hear from you if you have:
- In depth knowledge of the data science process and how data science can add value to an organisation
- Ability to tell a convincing story internally and externally
- Ability to manage complex stakeholder relationships, to influence but also to listen
- Knowledge of ML platform tooling, processes and ML Ops more broadly
- Proactive problem solver comfortable with ambiguity
- Line management experience
Bonus points if you also have:
- Experience in online retail or with applying machine learning to physical hardware
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.