|Job Type:||Full Time|
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
We are seeking a Wireless Systems Engineering Manager to lead a department accountable for the development and support of Wireless Systems for Bots in our Ocado Smart Platform (OSP). You will lead approximately 25 engineers. The teams are formed with engineers from various disciplines to enable you to deliver your products from concept to production.
Okay, so how will you spend your days?
You will be expected to provide technical oversight for your engineers, be the go-to consultant on technical wireless topics, administer and manage your department, and finally live, breath and be an exemplar of our values. Examples of this in practice include:
- coaching your team leaders on a weekly basis.
- influencing, articulating and translating the technical into layman terms for senior stakeholders at meetings, forums and 1:1 calls.
- Improving the technical quality of your products on a day to day basis by asking your engineers questions that extend their thinking and addressing gaps in projects that people are not aware of.
This role is an amazing opportunity, as such we'd like to talk to people with
- Proven experience in the Wireless field, including but not limited to:
- An ability to describe RF principles
- In depth knowledge of C and C++ and operating systems e.g. Linux, Unix
- Understanding of wireless protocol stacks including PHY, MAC, RRC and LLC.
- Full end-to-end experience of wireless products
- A passion for leading people - you truly want the best for them and have the ability to mentor and effectively support their career development
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in a leadership role responsible for overall team delivery, budget and resources.
- An diverse (T-shaped) understanding of engineering tools, technologies and practices.
- Demonstrates Bachelor or Postgraduate (or equivalent) degree in Wireless Communications, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or similar technical field.
The above list is not complete, nor should it be viewed as a set of requirements. You tell us why you are right for the job.
Technologies We Use...
- A Custom OFDMA IoT platform
- Remote sensor system in the 434 and 868MHz bands
- + many others in the future
What we can offer you...
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.