|Job Type:||Full Time|
Telegraph Media Group is seeking two full-time lawyers (this role and another with 8 yrs PQE) to work in our Editorial Legal & Compliance Department advising the editorial staff of The Daily Telegraph and The Sunday Telegraph newspapers and across all digital platforms. The roles will be based at our Head office in Victoria, London.
Key Responsibilities will include:
- Advising journalists and Editor's pre and post publication on all aspects of media law including defamation; privacy; copyright; contempt and reporting restrictions.
- Advising journalists on all aspects of the IPSO Editors Code and assisting the compliance officer in responding to complaints brought under the Code.
- Assist the Head of Editorial Legal in dealing with legal claims including instructing outside solicitors and barristers.
- Handle requests for deletion of material under GDPR 'right of erasure'.
- Delivering training to journalist teams on all aspects of media law.
- Advising commissioning editors on NDA's; book contracts and agreements/consents for interviews.
- Support journalists undertaking investigative journalism including TMG's award winning Investigations Unit.
- Minimum 5 years post qualification experience as a Solicitor or Barrister within media law.
- Experience advising on pre-publication issues, including libel, privacy, contempt and reporting restrictions
- Experience in managing complaints and litigation
- A strong interest and understanding of free speech issues
- The ability to work under pressure in a newsroom with multiple tight deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to offer advice clearly and succinctly
- The ability to work unsupervised but also as part of team
- A range of excellent on-site health benefits (including gym access, fitness classes, GP, Massages etc)
- Contributory pension scheme and private medical insurance
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.