|Job Type:||Full Time|
One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, Mott MacDonald is a multi-sector consultancy providing engineering, management, and development services on projects in 150 countries. With over 16,000 of the best people working on a diverse range of challenges, we're helping our clients deliver sustainable infrastructure and development solutions. We have a collaborative culture which values equality and diversity, and we take proactive steps to create an inclusive workplace. Together, we are opening opportunities with connected thinking.
Energy forms part of Mott MacDonald's uniquely diverse portfolio of management, engineering and development consultancy projects. Owing to strategic investment and continued growth in our offshore wind services globally, Mott MacDonald is looking for a highly experienced structural design engineer to create, develop and lead a new design team for offshore wind. It is likely that this role will be based in Glasgow (UK) though this can be flexible for the right candidate.
By joining our team you will have access to some of the largest, most challenging and innovative projects worldwide. The work is extremely varied as will be your role. You will be working with a strong renewable energy team and other discipline professionals delivering prestigious schemes.
As an offshore wind professional within Mott MacDonald you will provide technical support to a wide variety of stakeholders including developers, original equipment manufacturers, regulators and financing institutions.
The team will be newly formed and will consist of both of existing engineers from other discipline areas within our highly experienced design staff (Electrical, Structural, Civil etc), alongside new staff that you will be jointly responsible to identify, select and hire. This may also include strategic acquisitions.
You will be expected to put together the business plan, development strategy and team from scratch along with creating the relevant procedures, oversight process, tools and team capability/competence. You will have access to existing systems and protocols from elsewhere in MM global including our Nuclear and thermal detailed design teams.
Additionally, you will be expected to work with the existing team members and the Offshore Wind Business Development Manager to win design services for offshore wind projects globally. Clients may include (but not be limited to) fabricators, foundations contractors, developers, EPC contractors etc. The team you create is intended to become the Mott MacDonald global design centre for offshore wind, including (but not limited to) subsea structures, topsides, and electrical, (such as substations).
As the team develops and grows you will have line management responsibility for those staff within the team and hold ultimate sign-off responsibility for the correct delivery of detailed design to clients.
* Significant demonstrable experience of designing offshore structures
* Significant demonstrable experience of developing and leading design methodologies
* Significant demonstrable experience of holding design sign-sign off responsibility
* Chartered Structural engineer (or similar)
* Understanding of people motivation and situational leadership styles
* Strong organisational skills with attention to detail
* Experience of people management of technical teams
* Excellent inter-personal and communication skills
* Experience of working within a multi-disciplinary engineering environment
* Ability to communicate clearly & concisely in English, both verbally & written
* Ability to influence and motivate stakeholders within a complex environment
* Experience of working in a consultancy environment
* Demonstrable experience of designing offshore wind structures
* Demonstrable experience of design of floating structures
* Experience of developing a business
* Ability to explain technical issues to non-engineers, inclu