|Job Type:||Full Time|
“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ (OSP). With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouses that we design in-house, our world-class talent constantly moves the goal posts of what is possible to achieve through sustained technological disruption.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture.
But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people say about working for us.
You’ll be part of a cross-functional team with a wide remit to source and analyse data from Ocado’s cutting-edge storage and picking systems. We’ll look to you to make sure data is in the right place and in the right structure through automated pipelines that make data available for analysis. Working in a fast-paced Agile environment, you will have significant ownership and technical influence, and see your efforts quickly deliver benefits to the business.
A Culture of Continuous Improvement
We know that however good we are now, we can always be better. We try and apply this philosophy to our products, the code we write, and our own skills.
For our products, we try to identify what we work on next using data: what is going to deliver the most value? What problems are most important to our users?
For our code, we are always looking for ways to make it more readable, reliable and efficient. All the code we write is peer-reviewed to help us spot bugs, use a consistent style, and learn from each other’s experience. We have “lab days” every other week as time dedicated to learning and experimenting with new ideas and technology. They are a good opportunity for us to take a risk and try something new!
What you'll be doing:
- Analyse, design, create and maintain robust, high-throughput data pipelines from our autonomous robots and their control system and peripherals (pick stations etc)
- Populate new data stores to power statistical analysis and machine learning
- Lead end-to-end investigations to troubleshoot data issues
- Interact with other developers, product owners, analysts and data scientists
- Assist Data Scientists with productionizing machine learning models
- Become and stay an expert in current and emerging technologies and tools
What we look for
- 2:1 or higher degree in Computer Science, Maths, Physics, Engineering or similar highly numerate subject
- Commercial, full-lifecycle development experience using Java/Scala and related tools (JUnit, Git etc)
- A love of data and data flows as well as simple, maintainable, flexible code
- Ability to apply and reason with basic statistics
- Flexible in approach with the ability to learn fast
- RDBMS and NoSQL datastores and querying
- Python or other scripting language for tooling and data wrangling
- Web front-end development (for internal apps)
- Microservices architecture and REST APIs
- Implementing machine learning models in production environments
- BI tools like Tableau, Crystal Reports or Jasper
What we can offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on our your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts across Ocado.com
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis, not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.