|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft Officeservesover a billion customers in an increasingly collaborative world.Distributed data structures(such as CRDT’s) are a core technologyfor building scalable systems that supportcollaborative editing between many users.
This internship willexplore how schemas (or types) can be used to improve software systems built using distributed datastructures.Possible areas of investigationincludeusing schemas to automatically migratebetween versions, using schemas to improve developertools andproductivity,andusing schemas toimprove performance.The intern should have a passion fordevelopingtechnical insightsand applyingthem toreal-word problems.
This project is a collaborationbetween the Calc Intelligenceteam in MSR Cambridge andThe Fluid Framework– part of Microsoft Office–with the opportunityto have impact onproducts and teams within Microsoft.
Please ensure your application is submitted no later thanFriday, February 5th2021(end of day).
- Work in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Research andexplorenew ideas thatuse types and schemas to enhance software applications built using distributed data structures.
- Design, build, and evaluate research prototypes.
- Write and present your findingsin technical documentsor papers.
- Undertakinga PhD in programming languages,software engineering,or a related field. Outstanding undergraduate/Master’s students with research experience will also be considered.
- Experience with oneor moreof the following domains strongly preferred: functional programming, type systems,distributed computing, collaborative systems (OT/CRDT’s),developer tools.
- Experience with web programming technology preferred.
- Strongprogramming skills.
- Good spoken and written English.
- One or two papers at top PL or SE conferences, or journal articles are strongly desired. A writing sample of unpublished work should be included if a publication is not available.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.