|Job Type:||Full Time|
Become part of the team
Our team of designers have deep practitioner specialist skills across any or all parts of the design spectrum - from design strategy and IA, UX, interface design, through to prototyping and movement. We however display a generalist attitude; an understanding of the whole design process, and can easily navigate, communicate and practice the full spectrum.
We have practical delivery skills to make actual things rather than just pictures of things. And these skills constantly evolve – so we self-teach a lot.
We are passionate about the intersection between Design, UX and Front End and the possibilities for innovation at those boundaries. We work in mixed discipline highly collaborative teams, committed to building better experiences and truly believe that user experience is the responsibility of the whole project team.
As a team, we transform our client’s businesses using a combination of strategic thinking, customer-centric service design, and agile engineering practices. We do this at internet scale – driving innovation, and enriching people’s lives. Our skills and talent enable PA’s purpose of creating positive a human future in a technology driven world.
As part of our Digital team, you’ll work alongside colleagues from across PA – delivering transformative digital solutions to today’s most complex business challenges. Our teams are trusted to deliver and given the space to be awesome. We’re an inclusive community for the curious, generous, pragmatic and committed digital practitioner.
About Financial Services at PA
PA’s Financial Services practice is a leading advisory and delivery partner for market participants from all sub-sectors in the FS industry and currently generates revenue of approximately £60M for PA. With over 400 people globally, the team has strong presence in London, Edinburgh and across the Nordics. PA is a trusted consulting partner for FS regulators and market infrastructure providers throughout Europe. This has provided a platform for PA to develop an established Risk, Regulation and Compliance proposition.
The proposition includes expertise in Financial Crime and Corporate Governance. It is also renowned for its technology capability, which includes market-leading Agile, Digital Transformation, Cloud Platform and Data offerings. The FS practice has rapid growth ambitions and is focusing on expanding its presence in key banking, insurance and asset management clients, helping PA’s clients differentiate themselves in an increasingly digitised and data-driven industry.
What we're looking for
Lead Designers act as a visionary, leading the evolution of design best practice and ensuring creative excellence in every aspect of delivery and offer to clients. Immediately we have requirements on a corporate transactional environment for a global bank; however, you should expect to work across a variety of clients and sectors.
As Lead Designer, you will have design responsibility for multiple streams of work, across multiple clients. You will support the CDO in leading the long-term creative output, with shared responsibility for the welfare, creativity, performance and profitability of the Design Team.
You will develop strong, long-term strategic relationships with clients, shaping their understanding of digital practice and increasing their confidence when commissioning digital experiences.
You will formulate and articulate design strategy and processes. You will lead the end to end design aspects of our work and ensure it is robust, progressive and commercially strong.
What you’ll do:
As Lead Designer you will have been developing responses to complex digital ecosystem problems, ideally within a consultancy, an agency or design studio. You will therefore have extensive experience and advanced knowledge of a wide range of design tools, design software, techniques and processes - and know when to use them. Your key tasks and responsibilities will be to:
- Formulate and lead design strategy and processes
- Clearly communicate design direction to others; oversee and direct the team but be ‘in’ the work yourself, with rolled up sleeves
- Direct and produce artefacts across the full design spectrum as required by projects
- Challenge inappropriate ideas and solutions
- Build and manage relationships with internal teams and clients
- Present, explain and justify design solutions to clients
- Assist with managing the pipeline of future design work and the pipeline of designers - and assign designers to projects
- Be involved in pitches and new business proposals
- Have line management responsibility for designers: develop coaching, mentoring and training plans, organise/run performance appraisals, input on salary negotiation/reward management
- Assist with recruitment and onboarding of new staff.
- Accurately scope, estimate effort and define activities for large complex programmes of work (e.g. in proposals/SOWs)
- Know the team well, their skills and interests; cast blended teams that compliment and challenge each other
- Identify the way forward, set the design direction
- Set and manage clear expectations about quality and speed of project output
- Recognise opportunities for specialist engagement and oversee their contribution.
- Be an outstanding and highly skilled and experienced design practitioner covering all aspects of digital responsive interaction design
- Be able to use the usual design and prototyping software to the highest level (eg: Sketch, Illustrator, Invision, Axure, Omnigraffle, Sublime/Atom, Keynote, pen and paper)
- Confidently sketch target customer experiences, journeys and interfaces in collaborative teams and in workshops with clients.
- Accomplished at using storytelling techniques (that are human, impactful, accessible and captivating) to convey information, argument and persuasion in formal pressured settings, to large senior audiences
- Able to have full and frank conversations, employing sensitivity and robustness in equal measure
- Challenge and question using different critique techniques, offering praise when deserved; actively seek feedback on own output and management approach.
- Private medical insurance
- Interest free season ticket loan
- 25 days annual leave with the opportunity to buy 5 additional days
- Company pension scheme
- Annual performance-based bonus
- Life and Income protection insurance
- Tax efficient benefits (cycle to work, give as you earn)
- Voluntary benefits (Dental, critical illness, spouse/partner life assurance)
We believe in the power of ingenuity to build a positive human future in a technology-driven world.
As strategies, technologies and innovation collide, we create opportunity from complexity.
Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking and breakthrough use of technologies to progress further, faster. Our clients adapt and transform, and together we achieve enduring results.
An innovation and transformation consultancy, we are over 3,200 specialists in consumer, defence and security, energy and utilities, financial services, government, health and life sciences, manufacturing, and transport. Our people are strategists, innovators, designers, consultants, digital experts, scientists, engineers and technologists. We operate globally from offices across the UK, US, Europe, and the Nordics.
Bringing Ingenuity to Life.
We believe that diversity makes us a stronger firm and look to employ people with different ideas, styles and skillsets. This diversity stimulates a rich, creative environment – one in which our people develop, and our clients enjoy enduring results.
We’re committed to recruiting, promoting and rewarding our people solely based on their ability to contribute to PA’s goals, without regard to their sex, race, disability, religion, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status.
We welcome international applications, but we are unable to offer sponsorship for work permits, so you will need to have the full right to live and work in the UK. Unfortunately, your application will be automatically rejected if you do not have these rights.