Title: Director, Global Tax, Treasury & Insurance
Location: Cambridge, UK
About the role
Since its inception in 1998, Abcam has been propelled on an extensive growth journey; from selling antibodies “out of an ice-bucket” to delivering to over 130 countries worldwide, with over 1,500 employees, over 200 in-house PhDs and 100,000 highly validated products on offer.
In June 2020 Abcam reported full year revenues of £260.0 million and in October 2019 laid out an ambitious growth strategy with a goal of achieving over £450m in revenue by 2024. In November 2020, Abcam also added a secondary US listing on Nasdaq to its existing listing on the London Stock Exchange (AIM) to support its growth strategy.
As a result of this growth, Abcam requires a Director of Tax, Treasury and Insurance to oversee strategic and operational management of the Group’s tax, treasury and Insurance affairs across the globe. Reporting into the VP of Finance, this is a vital role within the core finance team and wider organisation.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Lead the definition of Abcam’s Global Tax, Treasury and Insurance strategy to deliver the business growth ambition
- Be a trusted advisor to the business on all tax related matters, ensuring key stakeholders are kept informed and up-to-date on relevant legislative changes
- Oversee an in-house global tax and treasury team to be the best they can be In delivering the tax strategy
- Ensure all corporate tax returns, claims and elections, are submitted in a timely fashion and within statutory deadlines and in doing so maintain strong relationships with external stakeholders
- Ensure global tax incentives are maximised (e.g. R&D, patent box and capital allowances claims)
- Work closely with business teams to keep relevant tax documentation up to date and at the front of commercial decision making
- Ensure Abcam is always appropriately insured and negotiate with insurers to optimise benefit for premium paid In delivering the Treasury strategy
- Identify and deliver the optimum medium to long term financing strategy to optimise Abcam’s growth ambition
- Own relationship with banks and other financing institutions
- Work closely with the business and finance colleagues to ensure short term liquidly is aligned and effectively managed in business requirements and treasury strategy
- CTA/ ACA qualified
- At least 8 years post qualified experience in operational tax gained in a Top 4 accountancy practice or in commerce. Treasury experience is not essential but a desire to broaden and further your career is
- International tax experience is essential
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of tax risks and controls
- Experience operating in a large listed, complex global business
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced business and adapt to changing priorities
- Proven track record of leading a high performing team
- Strong analytical, organisational and technical skills
Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full pay maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave. A culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment. What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998, Abcam plc (www.abcamplc.com) began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this outcome, the company both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe, and sources from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.