|Job Type:||Full Time|
We build an amazing, engaging, fast, reliable and secure website that showcases our journalism, encourages subscription and makes that process as seamless as possible
Our Engineering principles are based on BUILD it, RUN it, OWN it. You’ll ensure high-quality code is delivered quickly and to a high standard in line with product goals and sprint cycles.
You’ll be developing and releasing fixes and enhancements to the production system taking great care to minimise risk to the platform and its users
You’ll collaborate in the development of our performance and verification pipelines, and the cloud infrastructure required to run these, with the constant aim of full automation. You’ll coach and collaborate with other platform and product engineers to share experience and deliver value, whilst providing technical support for systems in production.
Above all, you’ll want to make The Telegraph better, which may sometimes involve challenging the status quo.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Developing a brand new application using web technologies.
- Architect, design and develop large, complex projects.
- Integrate tooling into the CI/CD pipelines.
- Apply modern best practices in your designs and implementations.
- Help define and develop our testing strategy.
- Collaborate with other engineers to prioritise and ship features.
- Mentor engineers on the team, drawing on your experience to provide thoughtful direction
- Support Product Managers and Engineering Managers by being a key contributor to technical scoping and estimate new work.
- Helping with hiring process to build and maintain strong and high performing team
- Seek ways to improve the platform and the team’s processes, ensuring best practices are shared across the wider technology team.
- Work closely within a matrix organisation made up of Product Managers, Business Analysts and
- Software Engineers as well as third party vendors.
- Be an active member of the Telegraph Engineering Team, contributing to the vibrant culture
- and promoting the Telegraph Engineering brand through public channels such as open source communities, blogs and meetups.
- Bridge the divide between Technical and Non-Technical stakeholders - tailoring your language and approach appropriately.
- Keep up with the latest technology innovations in media, cloud and software development.
- A thorough understanding of internet technologies and architectures and general application development.
- Able to apply agile development principles and push for modern best practices in software development and deployment
- Possess a strong understanding of the full life-cycle development process and be eager to influence the processes adopted by the team in delivering projects.
- Able to govern and contribute towards architectural and development techniques and standards.
- Team-oriented, keen to share your knowledge and open to giving and receiving continuous feedback whilst communicating cross-functionally.
- Product-minded and understand the tradeoffs between quality and delivering fast.
- A desire to to develop, learn new skills and continuously improve our software and the development process.
- A flexible attitude and are willing to tackle new challenges with energy and urgency
- Willingness to work across the entire software stack, from provisioning of infrastructure through to software design, development and support.
- Comfortable being an advocate in the importance of DevOps.
Technical Stack and Skills
- Experience of working with Node.js and its associated frameworks
- Experience of working with testing technologies such as Jest, Cypress, a11y, Backstop, Lighthouse etc.
- Writing semantic, component driven, HTML and CSS with progressive enhancement in mind.
- Previous experience working with CSS preprocessors such as Sass or LESS.
- Usage of build tools such as Webpack and/or npm scripts to aid front-end workflows.
- Prior experience with Docker containers and CI/CD servers such as Jenkins.
- Best practice knowledge of security, performance and accessibility.
- Working knowledge of modern browser APIs.
- The role has excellent career development opportunities, both in technical and wider professional growth.
- Work with a modern, cloud-first technology stack (Google and Amazon)
- Chance to attend and speak at industry conferences
- Technical training and certifications where relevant
- 2 days personal development training of your choice (additional to any other training you need/receive)
- Innovation and R&D time
- A range of excellent benefits (including on-site gym, massages, GPs and more).
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.